[General] On this sense / In this sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

drycrust

Member Type
Other
Firstly, I'm not an English Teacher, but I do have a technical background and help a friend in China by editing his scientific papers. Recently a reviewer returned a paper and amongst his comments was the need for us to improve our English. I did feel a bit miffed about that. However, that aside, I noticed he used the term "on this sense" several times. I did Google that term and couldn't find any criticism regarding it. I thought the correct term was "in this sense". Any ideas?

drycrust

Member Type
Other
To my knowledge the reviewer is a native English speaker, but I don't know that for certain.
The reviewer had also used the term "on regards to" whereas I had used the term "in regards to". When I Googled the terms I found I was using nonstandard English (not sure about his term though), so I've learnt something new.
Another term he had used was "Language is still improved", which I took to mean "their English needs improving".
Since I'm not university trained, I don't know what the current state of English is within that environment, which is the reason I asked the question.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
To my knowledge the reviewer is a native English speaker, but I don't know that for certain.
The reviewer had also used the term "on regards to" whereas I had used the term "in regards to". When I Googled the terms I found I was using nonstandard English (not sure about his term though), so I've learnt something new.
Another term he had used was "Language is still improved", which I took to mean "their English needs improving".
Since I'm not university trained, I don't know what the current state of English is within that environment, which is the reason I asked the question.
If this reviewer is a native speaker, he/she knows very little about his/her own language.

drycrust

Member Type
Other
My thanks to you both.

Regarding "in regards to", the general consensus (based upon a sample of 3 or 4 websites) seems to be this is nonstandard English, and that terms such as "regarding" or "concerning" are much better at conveying the thought.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.