Other
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello everybody,
do you know what is the difference between the second hand car and the used car? For me it sounds to be the same but UK companies offer both, second hand cars and used cars. That´s why I am brooding about it. Maybe, it is a question of a lease. Or anything else??
Thanks,
Marketa

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
In the UK I would say most dealers prefer "used cars", but informally people talk about second-hand cars"

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the UK, "second hand" has come to have a slightly downbeat ring to it. It conjures up pictures of junk shops and a certain grubbiness. Many people now advertise things as "previously owned" which, up to now, has none of those associations.

buggles (not a teacher)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everybody,
do you know what is the difference between the second hand car and the used car? For me it sounds to be the same but UK companies offer both, second hand cars and used cars. That´s why I am brooding about it. Maybe, it is a question of a lease. Or anything else??
Thanks,
Marketa
***NOT A TEACHER***Here in the United States, many people are ashamed to say that they bought a "used car." Therefore companies offer "pre-owned " cars. Sounds better.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
If you want to be technical about this, shouldn't second hand mean exactly that? You are the second owner.

Here it is either used or previously owned most of the time.

I am not a teacher.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
What about the fourth a car was sold? The car would still be called a second hand car - regardless of how many times the car has been owned in the past.

I was going to ask this very same question.:)

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Second-hand should mean only one previous owner, but it actually means "owned before" and there's neither limit to, nor any indication of, how many previous owners the item had.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the U.S. the terms are understood to be synonymous regardless of the number of owners however, most car dealers now prefer the term "pre-owned".

Status
Not open for further replies.