Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I would like to know the difference in the meaning between "1" and "2".

1. He has a wide range of experience having worked in technical, production, and marketing positions.
2. He has a wide range of experience, having worked in technical, production, and marketing positions.

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
I would like to know the difference in the meaning between "1" and "2".

1. He has a wide range of experience having worked in technical, production, and marketing positions.
2. He has a wide range of experience, having worked in technical, production, and marketing positions.

I'm not a teacher; however, that looks like a participle phrase, which is trying to modify a noun. Try this:

Having worked in technical, production, and marketing positions, he has a wide range of experience.

Last edited:

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
I know I didn't answer your question, so I will wait to hear from someone else who understands comma usage better than I. :cry:

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
The real difference is that the first sentence needs a comma after "experience".

Why? Why does the first sentence need a comma after experience? Is it because the participle phrase is considered non-essential? :cry:

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
IMHO -

1. (having . . . .positions) modifies experience.
2. (,having . . . . positions) modifies he.

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
IMHO -

1. (having . . . .positions) modifies experience.
2. (,having . . . . positions) modifies he.

The first would be a very awkward sentence as such. Wouldn't we write it like this?

He has a wide range of experience working in technical, production, and marketing positions.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Why? Why does the first sentence need a comma after experience? Is it because the participle phrase is considered non-essential? :cry:

In a sense, that is true. The entire phrase clearly modifies the first part of the sentence; the comma sets it off to make this clear. You can also think of it in the following way. As you read the sentence you would naturally pause between the two clauses. When there is such a pause it is normal to use a comma to establish the rhythm of the sentence and to make it clear that you are going in a new direction.

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
In a sense, that is true. The entire phrase clearly modifies the first part of the sentence; the comma sets it off to make this clear. You can also think of it in the following way. As you read the sentence you would naturally pause between the two clauses. When there is such a pause it is normal to use a comma to establish the rhythm of the sentence and to make it clear that you are going in a new direction.

I thank you for your input. I find myself searching for more concrete...rules for comma usage. I have found a few.

Again, I thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.