Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Would it be correct to use the term "Typical food" to refer to that particular way of cooking of a certain place? For example: This is the typical food of a seaside town

Thank you very much
smile.gif

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm not a native speaker, but I'm sure it's OK. I've heard it many times. Also typical foods.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would it be correct to use the term "Typical food" to refer to that particular way of cooking of a certain place? For example: This is the typical food of a seaside town

Thank you very much
smile.gif
"Typical food" is common usage in US.
Example: "Pizza, burgers, and fries are typical food choices for teenagers in the United States." ;-) Or, "A typical breakfast in the US might include eggs, fruit juice, and coffee."

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Thank you very much
smile.gif

How about "local dishes"?

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The term is used in the US but not in the same way as in a Spanish-speaking country. For example, in Mexico, an average restaurant will advertise that it offers food typical of a region. I can't think of any menu in the US that would use "typical" in this sense. They may indicate that they offer regional foods or that they offer cajun cusine - but they probably don't use the word "typical" in the same sense that it is used in Mexico. I believe what the original poster had in mind was some term that meant - tipica comida - or typical food. Tacos made from beef tongue is an example. The difference is subtle, but is it there. Maybe the original poster can enlighted us on this matter.

I have to write a few lines concerning typical French food, suddenly I doubted about the term "typical" so I decided to consult it.
Looking thouroughly I have found this example in the Cambridge dictionary:

This sort of hot and spicy food is very typical of the food in the south of the country.

And yes, in Spanish we say "comida típica" of a certain place, as far as that food is made only in that region, town, etc.

Thank you. As always you all are of great help.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.