How to teach a two-three year child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belena

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello, everyone! Who can help and give some practical advice about teaching young children if I can see them only once a week? Does it make sense? They are smart and clever, fluent in their native language. Thank you.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Once a week? Not enough!

I would think that music would be the only venue that would enable them to continue hearing and practicing saying words.

You could record some songs that have words with motions (e.g. The Hokey Pokey??) for them to play at home. But the parents would have to agree to work with you and have the children listen every day at home. Repetition is essential at this age.

belena

Member Type
English Teacher
Once a week? Not enough!

I would think that music would be the only venue that would enable them to continue hearing and practicing saying words.

You could record some songs that have words with motions (e.g. The Hokey Pokey??) for them to play at home. But the parents would have to agree to work with you and have the children listen every day at home. Repetition is essential at this age.

Thank you very much! It is the idea I was thinking of but I needed some support!

Alex Case

Site Contributor
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Get a song CD, do the actions with them in class, and give them the CD to continue playing at home. Super Simple Songs have good ones that you can order online, and Dream English has some not so good but free ones. You can also do the same things with storybooks. Some links to ideas on how to use some popular and easy to find ones:

TEFLtastic Writing and teaching

brialong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Once a week? Not enough!

Yeah.. I agree with you susieg. You can also give them like mozzart's songs/music and or for children's songs.

abbi46

Member Type
Student or Learner
i taught three of my children to read before starting school. cathy got a 2.1 in psychology at cambridge. becky is now a freelance journalist and paul is studying english at queen mary university and getting all a's in his first year. i always found that taking the words, breaking them down and making a game of them worked. such as listing similar sounds eg. moon,soon,noon,boo,moo. take the oo sound and make it sound really long such as oooooooooooooooo then add the the other letters or take for instance cow,wow,now,sow,row.bow. accentuate the ow sound then add the other letter. you can also make up your own songs such as
a T and an E an L and an E a V (make a V with your hands) an I (point to your eye) an S (make an S shape with your arm) an I (point to your eye) and on (put your fist onto the back of your hand). part song,part letter association. obviously television is a big word to expect of a three year old, it was just an example. learning to read is the best game in the world to a three year old. also point out signs they see every day like stop signs shop signs, coffee,tea,sugar,milk. use flashcards. why have you only got half an hour a week. sorry. too nosy as always. everything around you can be used for reading but especially yourself. making funny sounds when reading to them helps them remember the words too.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
i taught three of my children to read before starting school. cathy got a 2.1 in psychology at cambridge. becky is now a freelance journalist and paul is studying english at queen mary university and getting all a's in his first year. i always found that taking the words, breaking them down and making a game of them worked. such as listing similar sounds eg. moon,soon,noon,boo,moo. take the oo sound and make it sound really long such as oooooooooooooooo then add the the other letters or take for instance cow,wow,now,sow,row.bow. accentuate the ow sound then add the other letter. you can also make up your own songs such as
a T and an E an L and an E a V (make a V with your hands) an I (point to your eye) an S (make an S shape with your arm) an I (point to your eye) and on (put your fist onto the back of your hand). part song,part letter association. obviously television is a big word to expect of a three year old, it was just an example. learning to read is the best game in the world to a three year old. also point out signs they see every day like stop signs shop signs, coffee,tea,sugar,milk. use flashcards. why have you only got half an hour a week. sorry. too nosy as always. everything around you can be used for reading but especially yourself. making funny sounds when reading to them helps them remember the words too.

I take it that you did teach them proper capitalization and punctuation?

Status
Not open for further replies.