[Grammar] provides a platform ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoandt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi all,

I read this sentence below but I could not understand the meaning of provides a platform

"EASCA’s competition division provides a platform for all sound-quality fans in Europe"

Does it mean a purpose or an aim ?

Thank you in advance!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In general, the term "provides a platform" means "to give exposure to something" such as a concept, policy, view, opinion, political position etc.

hoandt

Member Type
Student or Learner
In general, the term "provides a platform" means "to give exposure to something" such as a concept, policy, view, opinion, political position etc.
Do you mean "to give defination,or to show the truth"?

Dacre

Member Type
Academic
No, this means something like "provides a stage" or "provides a podium." It gives a place to speak and be heard.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, this means something like "provides a stage" or "provides a podium." It gives a place to speak and be heard.
Yes, but not necessarily a physical stage or podium.
This forum provides a platform for the discussion of English.
It's a metaphor.
Literal: You have a vase of flowers, but nothing to put it on. Someone provides you with a platform, and you put the vase on the platform, and everyone's happy.
Metaphorical:
1. You have a point of view, but nowhere to say it. Someone provides you with an online forum, and you write your opinion on that 'platform'.

2. "Sound-quality fans in Europe" have a need to see a game, but no games are to be seen. Someone provides the "EASCA’s competition division", and those games are the platform upon which the fans have an outlet for their fanaticism.

I would not have written this sentence. It's not a good metaphor. The EASCA really provides a platform for lower ranked players more than anything, as I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.