Help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dav1d

Member Type
Other
Hi,

I write a food blog for students at the University of Cambridge. Each morning I write a few words about the previous evenings dinner. I try to make these witty and brief. My biggest fear is looking silly because of poor grammar, my audience are quite well educated! Can I post these small reviews here for a quick proof read? An example can be seen below.

My first big dinner at Pembroke was The Guggenheim Dinner of 2005. The evening sticks in my memory as we ran out of fish with half a table left to serve. It turned out that two trays of Halibut hadn't made it out of the fridge and into the oven; not what a Catering Manager needs four months into a new job!

Suffice to say, changes were made and we’ve not had a repeat performance since. Last night’s Connoisseurs dinner for 175 guests required the kind of military precision not on display five years ago. Ioana in the kitchen, and Savino, front-of-house, both brought their ‘A’ game to work on Thursday and the evening ran very smoothly.

Last night’s Connoisseurs began their feast with an amuse Bouche of salmon tartare cornet. This classic garden canapé is a signature dish at the famous French Laundry restaurant in California.
Following the amuse bouche we served a fish course of sea bream, spinach and parsnip puree finished with a saffron and vanilla sauce. This great starter was also borrowed from the French Laundry's repertoire of dishes.
Onto the main course of Moroccan Lamb Rump sous vide with harissa spiced couscous, chickpea salsa and jus. This wonderful recipe came from Alan Murchison's Food for Thought.
The lamb was first marniated in Moroccan spices (cumin, coriander seed, rosemary, saffron etc) and then cooked sous vide at 58C for five hours. The resulting lamb was beautiful and pink and as tender as a confit!
After the flavourful lamb we cleansed the palate with a pre-dessert of lemon sorbet, spun in our Pacojet machine.
The main dessert was a chocolate delice with caramel hazlenuts, white chocolate cake, yogurt sorbet and Kirsch coulis. The delice was the one prepared by Ramond Blanc in episode 1 of Kitchen Secrets.
The sorbet, coulis and cake recipes are from Pier by Greg Doyle.

Many thanks for any help or advice provided:-D

Last edited:

dav1d

Member Type
Other
Wow, thanks! So I don't write like a complete idiot?:-D

It's great to get such quick feedback and I'm happy to share my culinary wit in return for grammatical direction!

Thanks,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.