• Thread starter fady 2007
  • Start date
  • Views : 34,309
Status
Not open for further replies.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Here's a link to an important rule: https://www.e-education.psu.edu/styleforstudents/c3_p21.html

I am not sure if it applies to "in comparison" though.

Thanks for the link. I believe it does apply to "in comparison." I think we would have to look at a variety of examples, though. It seems to me that they can in certain situations be almost interchangeable, although I'm not sure.

Perhaps fady 2007 has a particular sentence in mind that s/he can share with us.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi
I did a quick BNC search.
[STRIKE]Here are the frequency of prepositions for each wordings in academic writing.
[/STRIKE]
Here are the frequency of prepositions in academic writing.
I hope it helps somehow.
compared followed by :
1 WITH 2128
2 TO 539
There are also other prepositions, but it's not the case here.
I will post them anyway.
3 BY 38
4 IN 29
5 FOR 16
6 BETWEEN 10
7 OF 8

In comparison

1 TO 35
2 OF 5 - doesn't count as it doesn't follow directly
3 WITH 4

Cheers,

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hi
I did a quick BNC search.
[STRIKE]Here are the frequency of prepositions for each wordings in academic writing.
[/STRIKE]
Here are the frequency of prepositions in academic writing.
I hope it helps somehow.
compared followed by :
It would be useful to know whether any semantic distinctions are being made between the use of "to", "with" etc.

Examples from OED do not bear out the distinction made in the above-mentioned link. This rule is stylistic, not grammatical.
------------
These examples from OED don't confirm to the rule:

2. trans. To mark or point out the similarities and differences of (two or more things); to bring or place together (actually or mentally) for the purpose of noting the similarities and differences. Const. with (or to) another; together. 1621 BURTON Anat. Mel. I. ii. III. xiv. (1651) 124 Whats..the world it self..if compared to the least visible Star in the Firmament?
[Should be 'with' according to the rule]
1667 MILTON P.L. II. 921 To compare Great things with small. 1710 STEELE Tatler No. 126
page.gif
1, I stole looks at each Lady, as if I was comparing their Perfections. 1847 EMERSON Repr. Men, Montaigne Wks. (Bohn) I. 336 In England..property stands for more, compared with personal ability, than in any other [country]. [Should be 'to' according to the rule]
1860 TYNDALL Glac. II. x. 283 To compare the motion of the eastern and western halves of the glacier. 1879 G. C. HARLAN Eyesight viii. 106 This cramping tendency of town as compared to country. [Should be 'with' according to the rule]

dag.gif
b. to compare: (a thing) for one to compare, (a thing) to be compared, comparable (to, with). 1483 CAXTON G. de la Tour Ev, Suche men and wymmen be to compare to the wyf of Loth. [Should be 'with' according to the rule]
----------

It's an arbitrary stylistic rule which I wouldn't prescribe to anyone. I generally use "to" for most things.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi
Note not a teacher nor a native speaker,

It would be useful to know whether any semantic distinctions are being made between the use of "to", "with" etc.

[STRIKE]I can think of an example where that " rule" would apply.
[/STRIKE]
I can think of an example where I would make a distinction between " compare to" and "compare with"
It's when we say "compare to" for "they are similar"

Some commentators compared his work to that of James Joyce.
I think sounds better than
Some commentators compared his work with that of James Joyce.

Raymott could you comment on that, please.
Cheers

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I can think of an example where I would make a distinction between " compare to" and "compare with"
It's when we say "compare to" for "they are similar"

Some commentators compared his work to that of James Joyce.
I think sounds better than
Some commentators compared his work with that of James Joyce.

Raymott could you comment on that, please.
Cheers
Yes it does sound better. That is a good example of their not being totally exchangeable. I still think it's mainly stylistic though. The second version isn't wrong.
As I say, I almost always use "to". To change my mind, you'd have to come up with the opposite example - where "with" sounds undeniably better than "to".

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hi,

As I say, I almost always use "to". To change my mind, you'd have to come up with the opposite example - where "with" sounds undeniably better than "to".

It's not my goal to change your mind-set, Raymott.
I just find it a good exercise so I'll try to come out with one or find one. ;-)

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.