Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    small/big/large class ?

    A class with a few students can be called "a small class" ? And a class with many students "a big/large class" ?

  1. mara_ce's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 6,066
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: small/big/large class ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    And a class with many students "a big/large class" ?
    Both of them can be used. 'Large' is slightly more formal.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Exclamation Re: small/big/large class ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    A class with a few students can be called "a small class" ? And a class with many students "a big/large class" ?
    You can not think of large or big which are opposite of small. When small is used to describe the size of a class with a few students, it is better to link size with small with a hyphen to make one word adjective; as:
    A Small-size class with fewer than 10 students.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: small/big/large class ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    You can not think of large or big which are opposite of small. When small is used to describe the size of a class with a few students, it is better to link size with small with a hyphen to make one word adjective; as:
    A Small-size class with fewer than 10 students.
    Is there an adjective which can be used instead of "small-size" ?


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: small/big/large class ?

    (Not a teacher)

    To my ear, "a small class" and "a big class" fit best, and are what I use/hear normally. "A large class" would be fine too.

    I don't really understand the need for 'small-size'. What else would the 'small' be referring to apart from the size?

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,104
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: small/big/large class ?

    I agree. One year we were lucky and there were only 17 students in my daughter's class. The teacher had a small class. This year, there are 27. It's a large class. No need for "size."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Exclamation Re: small/big/large class ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    (Not a teacher)

    To my ear, "a small class" and "a big class" fit best, and are what I use/hear normally. "A large class" would be fine too.

    I don't really understand the need for 'small-size'. What else would the 'small' be referring to apart from the size?
    Small-size class was only a suggestion, otherwise a class with a few students (small in number) can be termed as a small class. However ‘size’ is used to explain the utility of smallness related to methods of teaching, as in this site: Small-Size Classes (A-46)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Mar-2009, 05:48
  2. Help Me!! Well This Is The Beginning Of A Essay Of Social Class
    By luzg in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2008, 23:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •