Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
A class with a few students can be called "a small class" ? And a class with many students "a big/large class" ?

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
A class with a few students can be called "a small class" ? And a class with many students "a big/large class" ?

You can not think of large or big which are opposite of small. When small is used to describe the size of a class with a few students, it is better to link size with small with a hyphen to make one word adjective; as:
A Small-size class with fewer than 10 students.

ph2004

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
You can not think of large or big which are opposite of small. When small is used to describe the size of a class with a few students, it is better to link size with small with a hyphen to make one word adjective; as:
A Small-size class with fewer than 10 students.

Is there an adjective which can be used instead of "small-size" ?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

To my ear, "a small class" and "a big class" fit best, and are what I use/hear normally. "A large class" would be fine too.

I don't really understand the need for 'small-size'. What else would the 'small' be referring to apart from the size?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. One year we were lucky and there were only 17 students in my daughter's class. The teacher had a small class. This year, there are 27. It's a large class. No need for "size."

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
(Not a teacher)

To my ear, "a small class" and "a big class" fit best, and are what I use/hear normally. "A large class" would be fine too.

I don't really understand the need for 'small-size'. What else would the 'small' be referring to apart from the size?

Small-size class was only a suggestion, otherwise a class with a few students (small in number) can be termed as a small class. However ‘size’ is used to explain the utility of smallness related to methods of teaching, as in this site: Small-Size Classes (A-46)

Status
Not open for further replies.