Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    activemind Guest

    Default Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    Hello,
    what is different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"?

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    Quote Originally Posted by activemind
    Hello,
    what is different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"?
    I wouldn't use co-worker for people in higher positions. I'd use it for lower level jobs, voluntary and temporary ones. IMO, you can use colleague for anybody.

  3. #3
    activemind Guest

    Default Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I wouldn't use co-worker for people in higher positions. I'd use it for lower level jobs, voluntary and temporary ones. IMO, you can use colleague for anybody.
    you mean colleague is public, but co-worker is just for low level jobs.
    Last edited by activemind; 17-Apr-2005 at 04:05.

  4. #4
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    What do you mean by 'public'?
    I gave three categories for co-worker, and they don't all have to be low level. However, in the boardroom of a multinational, the CEO is very unlikely to call the CFO his or her co-worker- that's what I meant.

  5. #5
    activemind Guest

    Default Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    What do you mean by 'public'?
    I gave three categories for co-worker, and they don't all have to be low level. However, in the boardroom of a multinational, the CEO is very unlikely to call the CFO his or her co-worker- that's what I meant.
    if me and you do a job together, can you call me co-worker?
    thank you

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    Why not?

  7. #7
    activemind Guest

    Smile Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Why not?
    , and if we do somthing professional, colleague is better than co-worker?

  8. #8
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    I'd always use the term 'colleague' for anyone I worked with, whether they taught alongside me or cleaned the loos, but that's a personal view. However, among professionals, I think terms other than colleague would sound strange.

  9. #9
    activemind Guest

    Thumbs up Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'd always use the term 'colleague' for anyone I worked with, whether they taught alongside me or cleaned the loos, but that's a personal view. However, among professionals, I think terms other than colleague would sound strange.
    thank you very much for your useful help

  10. #10
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Different between "coworker" and "professional colleague"

    You're welcome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk