Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had predicted that you couldn't bear the burden because you don't have the capacity even if you try. (This we have thanks to Chester)

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here at my work in school I cannot diagram online (or view a diagram online), so I will have to wait until I get home.

However, I am already very curious about what the diagram would look like in the Persian. Am I right in saying that it would start as a mirror image since Persian is written from right to left?

I also wonder what it will look like if it is diagrammed morpheme by morpheme with no adjustments for a different word order.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
persian.gif

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Here at my work in school I cannot diagram online (or view a diagram online), so I will have to wait until I get home.

However, I am already very curious about what the diagram would look like in the Persian. Am I right in saying that it would start as a mirror image since Persian is written from right to left?

I also wonder what it will look like if it is diagrammed morpheme by morpheme with no adjustments for a different word order.

Thank you very much.
Yes, as you said, the Persian picture is a mirror image of the English one. I tried to reconstruct a Persian model, following your example. Although the two sentences are semantically the same, there are some structural differences between the two languages. And as you said a morpheme by morpheme representation will be just perfect. We will do it!

Attachments

• sentence.JPG
    sentence.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 10

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That diagram is GORGEOUS!

I am pretty sure that you can claim to be the first one who ever did anything like that!

With the beautiful calligraphy of Persian the diagram looks like a painting.

How to proceed with a morpheme by morpheme [henceforth MBM] diagram?

Since I speak no Persian, I guess you will have to translate the Persian into English units, keeping the Persian word order.

This might be a point for others to help.

If only Kondorosi were here! But I can contact him.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Oh, thank you. I really liked your aesthetical evaluation.
The font is, of course, a formal one used usually in books and etc. Unfortunately, classical types, which are usually used for ornamental purposes, are not processed properly in Editors designed for English.

Anyway, a morpheme-by-morpheme description of language can be very tempting. I decided to start it in a new post, trying to make it useful for other members too.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have we discovered a new art form -- placing the English beside the Persian diagram. A sort of West meets East?
We could use the same font to make it more comparable.

This is fun.

I hope others are watching.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sure, this is a nice art-enjoyable- Contrastive sentence analysis.
I believe mutual linguistic understanding can help people from different cultures overcome their differences.
The font will be the same.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I, personally, have entertained the thought that linguistic differences are the origin of wars. If you do not understand what a group is saying, you tend to suspect that it is against you. I'm not sure why the contrary could not be true. In any case polyglots can be peace-makers.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I, personally, have entertained the thought that linguistic differences are the origin of wars. If you do not understand what a group is saying, you tend to suspect that it is against you. I'm not sure why the contrary could not be true. In any case polyglots can be peace-makers.

Thanks to both posters...

So, just imagine a world where the rulers were linguists! Brilliant! :)

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wasn't it Plato that proposed a government ruled by philosophers (The Republic)? He was close. He just missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.