Academic
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Hi there,

I am working on a book for ESL students. And I have almost completed it with the assistance of some of my close colleagues at work.

You know, I am having great difficulty in choosing an appropriate title for the items in the book.

Dear friends, I do need your help in solving this problem. I am providing my own version as an example with the purpose of getting more alternatives from you. I do appreciate any comments on the matter in question. Thank you very very much, in advance. Looking forward to your alternatives.

Title: Proficiency in English (You can also help with the title of the book)

My version: Your alternatives:
1. Warmin-Up 1.
2. Reading 2.
3. Listening 3.
4. Writing 4.
5. Speaking 5.

I need something different from traditional methods so that a learner can be stimulated towards English even looking at the items.:-D

zjennin

Member Type
Other
I would suggest "Introduction" or "Warm-Up(s)" for your first section.
Your other titles seem to work well.

azkad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Please, I need more ideas and suggestions.
Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A lot depends on the nature of the book- for instance, if it's a serious book, then a light-hearted title might be inappropriate. What sort of approach are you using in the book? What age is it aimed for? What are the aims? If you flesh the thread out with a few details, I think it would help. ;-)

azkad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
A lot depends on the nature of the book- for instance, if it's a serious book, then a light-hearted title might be inappropriate. What sort of approach are you using in the book? What age is it aimed for? What are the aims? If you flesh the thread out with a few details, I think it would help. ;-)

Thank you Tdol for the holesome advice. To be more precise the book is disigned for language learners and does not include anything serious. You must have heard about similar books like Headway, Round-Up or WOW! which also encompass the items I mentioned above. My purpose is to make them sound a bit different as compared to other similar publications.
How would you chage, say, the "reading" item if you were in my shoes. As a native speaker, I believe you must have your alternatives; so I need them very much. Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does the book consist of five sections or are these five headings for each unit? Also, I wonder about the word Proficiency in the title because of the Cambridge Proficiency exam, which might be associated with it.

azkad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Does the book consist of five sections or are these five headings for each unit? Also, I wonder about the word Proficiency in the title because of the Cambridge Proficiency exam, which might be associated with it.

They are headings for each unit. You know we have got more options with the title, such as Tip-Top Tools (TTT), Whets Your Appetite (WYA) and so on. We are now thinking about the title and did not reach any conclusion.
Could you possibly recommend your version for both the headings and title. I would very much appreciate your ideas and suggestions. Thank you! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.