Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge

    Hi Everybody,

    I just read the newspaper topic says "Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge". I don't quite understand what it means, it misled me to think they took the drug freely in the games, is it a proper english expression? Please advise.

    WYH

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge

    If the jury is still out, then there's no definite agreement or consensus. It is likely, but not definite, that most of the athletes were not taking drugs.

  3. #3
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is online now Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge

    Note Tdol's last sentence; it's that sort of 'free': trouble-free, stress-free, hassle-free.... They weren't doing anything freely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    If the jury is still out, then there's no definite agreement or consensus. It is likely, but not definite, that most of the athletes were not taking drugs.

    b

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Note Tdol's last sentence; it's that sort of 'free': trouble-free, stress-free, hassle-free.... They weren't doing anything freely!



    b

    Hi Bobk, I just understand the meaning of "free" is freedom or can do anything without control. But in this case, free means "haven't do it", right?

  5. #5
    susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge

    Participants in the games seemed to be drug-free (not using drugs) but the jury (judgment) is still out (not decided)

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is online now Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Bobk, I just understand the meaning of "free" is freedom or can do anything without control. But in this case, free means "haven't do it", right?
    Right idea, but 'didn't do it' or 'haven't done it'.

    But, as Rogge said, the jury's still out - tests/investigations are still being done. They can't say yet that the Games were entirely drug-free, but so far so good...

    b

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Everybody,

    I just read the newspaper topic says "Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge". I don't quite understand what it means, it misled me to think they took the drug freely in the games, is it a proper english expression? Please advise.

    WYH
    I'd call this an incorrect statement. It's a bit like:
    He didn't murder his wife, but the jury's still out.
    How can Rogge claim that the games were largely drug-free if the test results aren't back yet?

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] Please check my essay!!
    By naja1992 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Oct-2009, 21:25
  2. The Advantages and Disavantages of China Hosting the Olympic Games
    By flowerseed in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2008, 01:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •