[General] Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

I just read the newspaper topic says "Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge". I don't quite understand what it means, it misled me to think they took the drug freely in the games, is it a proper english expression? Please advise.

WYH

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If the jury is still out, then there's no definite agreement or consensus. It is likely, but not definite, that most of the athletes were not taking drugs.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note Tdol's last sentence; it's that sort of 'free': trouble-free, stress-free, hassle-free.... They weren't doing anything freely!
If the jury is still out, then there's no definite agreement or consensus. It is likely, but not definite, that most of the athletes were not taking drugs.

b

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Note Tdol's last sentence; it's that sort of 'free': trouble-free, stress-free, hassle-free.... They weren't doing anything freely!

b

Hi Bobk, I just understand the meaning of "free" is freedom or can do anything without control. But in this case, free means "haven't do it", right?

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Participants in the games seemed to be drug-free (not using drugs) but the jury (judgment) is still out (not decided)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Bobk, I just understand the meaning of "free" is freedom or can do anything without control. But in this case, free means "haven't do it", right?

:up::down: Right idea, but 'didn't do it' or 'haven't done it'.

But, as Rogge said, the jury's still out - tests/investigations are still being done. They can't say yet that the Games were entirely drug-free, but so far so good...

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everybody,

I just read the newspaper topic says "Games largely drug-free but jury still out, says 'realist' Rogge". I don't quite understand what it means, it misled me to think they took the drug freely in the games, is it a proper english expression? Please advise.

WYH
I'd call this an incorrect statement. It's a bit like:
He didn't murder his wife, but the jury's still out.
How can Rogge claim that the games were largely drug-free if the test results aren't back yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.