English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That looks pretty cool.

What about that famous word 'antidisestablishmentarianism'?That's diagrammable isn't it? A collection of prefixes and suffixes.

O.K. What do think of it?

Attachments

• aniti.JPG
    aniti.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Trance Freak

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Thank you.
Well, as it seems, this translated version was made available by the Bibliothèque nationale de France. It must have been proofread very carefully.
As I have mentioned, voilà may look strange to non-French speakers, because we don't normally expect a preposition to function that way. But it's perfectly acceptable. It's not wrong.
Maybe voici la question can work here.

-Telle est la question: tel reminds of such. If we accept that tel(le) can function as an indifinite pronoun, then the sentence may be: such is the question.

Good day.

Didn't say voilà was wrong, I was just talking about 'Être ou n'être pas.'
On ne peut pas dire 'n'être pas,' on dit simplement 'ne pas être,' tu vois?
Et pour voilà, tel(le) ou c'est, on s'interesse plus à la transcription littéraire plutôt qu'à la transcription exacte.

Merci.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All I have to say is that it is SO nice to have a mind like yours, Trance Freak, back in the forum.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Didn't say voilà was wrong, I was just talking about 'Être ou n'être pas.'
On ne peut pas dire 'n'être pas,' on dit simplement 'ne pas être,' tu vois?
Et pour voilà, tel(le) ou c'est, on s'interesse plus à la transcription littéraire plutôt qu'à la transcription exacte.

Merci.

I see. Of course, my focus is on the exact reproduction of the SL structures as far as they don't violate TL rules.
Word order is usually distorted in literature. And as you implied, word choice is a stylistic matter that can change the literary value of a text. Maybe here we're authorized to view it as 'transcription littéraire'.

Bonne chance!

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Trance Freak,

It is so nice to have you back!

Frank

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Chester,

I sort of follow you. My experience and skill with Reed-Kellogg is of no use here since R-K deals with syntax, not morphology. Yet, I think a system of diagramming for morphology could be very useful. Is there any such system for Indo-European words?

I want to support your work, but I am not sure how to do it. If I understand this correctly, you are "going where no man has gone before" (to quote "Star Trek")

Frank

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi, can I join the discussion? I don't have much knowledge about morphemes, but it's an interesting topic to me.

I've just thought that morphemes seem to have some kind of their own syntax (I'm not sure about it though...), so maybe it could be possible to adapt some system of syntax analysis for this purpose? (I don't know any such system but I'd like to learn it.)

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think of a morpheme as the smallest unit of meaning in a language. If this is so, morphemes SHOULD be able to be tagged and followed.

Does anyone know if we are "re-inventing the wheel"?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think of a morpheme as the smallest unit of meaning in a language. If this is so, morphemes SHOULD be able to be tagged and followed.

Does anyone know if we are "re-inventing the wheel"?
What does "tagged and followed" mean in this context? I don't understand...:oops:

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By "tagged" I mean identified as a unit. By "followed" I mean shown how that unit goes on to effect other things. And example would be the "-s" for plural in English effecting the ending of the verb. "Boys run" as opposed to "The boy runs".

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant "an example". Didn't have my glasses on.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Chester,

I sort of follow you. My experience and skill with Reed-Kellogg is of no use here since R-K deals with syntax, not morphology. Yet, I think a system of diagramming for morphology could be very useful. Is there any such system for Indo-European words?

I see.
According to the Chomskean theories on syntax, every syntactic structure is binary-branching. This theory covers all of the syntactic structures including sentences, clauses, phrases, words, and even morphemes. As a result, a system developed according to a view like this can be used to diagram all of the meaningful language units.

I want to support your work, but I am not sure how to do it. If I understand this correctly, you are "going where no man has gone before" (to quote "Star Trek")
Nice words!
Well, the third technical expression (intermediate projection) was introduced years ago, but, following the rubric of naming phenomena and entities, I decided to coin the two first expressions to describe the morphological structure. 'Going where no man has gone before' certainly applies to the expressions!
And, as far as I know Arabic, I expect the post to contain the first instance of an Arabic word diagramed that way- yet I can't be sure of this.

Absolutely! Some these aspects are studied under the phonology of morphemes.

Frank

C

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, can I join the discussion?
Yes, please.
I don't have much knowledge about morphemes, but it's an interesting topic to me.
It's really interesting.

I've just thought that morphemes seem to have some kind of their own syntax (I'm not sure about it though...),
That's true.
so maybe it could be possible to adapt some system of syntax analysis for this purpose? (I don't know any such system but I'd like to learn it.)
The Universal Grammar can help us. I've mentioned one of its rules in the above post.
By the way, I'm planning to work on Polish too.

C

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay, I am ready to admit my ignorance. Up until now I have never heard of "universal grammar". What should I do about this gap in my knowledge? (I will certainly check it out on wikipedia) I have tried to study Chomsky, but I have felt that he was making things needlessly complicated for my purposes.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Okay, I am ready to admit my ignorance. Up until now I have never heard of "universal grammar". What should I do about this gap in my knowledge? (I will certainly check it out on wikipedia) I have tried to study Chomsky, but I have felt that he was making things needlessly complicated for my purposes.

You know, it really depends on your purpose. For instance, I'd agree that diagramming according to Chomsky's binary system can discourage learners. So, as my posts show in this forum, I always relied on the traditional tree-diagrams. One can say that his theories are complicated in such a case.

Also, accepting the assumption that there's a language-stimulating gene, and imputing the genetic source to human beings as the only cause of language evolution, without sufficient empirical investigation, is not easy just to everyone.

Yet, he is the most influential expert in modern linguistics, and, in my opinion, we can try to find evidence to support his theories- if possible.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, he is certainly influential. The problem for me is that he "takes the fun out of it". If his theory is really going to work, I feel like I want to wait until it is for certain. Even then, I am not sure if I am going to take the time to learn it well. I guess I am less scientific and more humanistic about language. I LOVE that I can take a thought expressed by Shakespeare and analyze it to the extent that I feel that I know EXACTLY what he is saying. I am not sure Chomsky will help me there. And the fun I get from comparing word order in a German sentence and that in an English sentence does not depend upon anything more complicated than morphology and syntax as taught by House and Harmon (Reed-Kellogg).

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, he is certainly influential. The problem for me is that he ''takes the fun out of it''. If his theory is really going to work, I feel like I want to wait until it is for certain. Even then, I am not sure if I am going to take the time to learn it well. I guess I am less scientific and more humanistic about language.
The increasing interest in utilizing rules and methods of physical sciences in human sciences has given a new complexion to the humanities, and, of course, to the study of language.

I LOVE that I can take a thought expressed by Shakespeare and analyze it to the extent that I feel that I know EXACTLY what he is saying. I am not sure Chomsky will help me there.
That can be true. His ideas are more focused on cognitive/structural aspects of language than aesthetic qualities of literature.

And the fun I get from comparing word order in a German sentence and that in an English sentence does not depend upon anything more complicated than morphology and syntax as taught by House and Harmon (Reed-Kellogg).
I know what you mean.
This is a review of the possible applications of the already developed methods and theories. Tomorrow, we may work on the findings of another expert.

C

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
O.k. Let's get on the job.
Polish involves the most complicated language network I've ever seen.

How would you translate it into English? Is the categorization acceptable? We will work on morphological matters later.
(That's a Koranic verse)

Attachments

• Polish.JPG
    Polish.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.