English Teacher
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
dear friends :-D,

I need your opinion about my case. English is not my native language, English even becomes foreign language in my country. My country has several mother tongue. The problems raise when I should teach students. I should use two languages, using English and then translated into Indonesian. I realize it's not a good way of teaching, but so far I don't know how to transfer English easily to my students :oops:.

So do you have idea the effective way of teaching English for students whose English are not their mother tongue?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Translation can be a useful tool, but it can also become an obstacle- if you translate everything, then students may simply wait for the translation and not absorb the English. Try introducing sections where you don't translate to get them used to the idea that they have to use English. Get them to do the translating. If they're used to it, they may not want to change suddenly so reduce the translation bit by bit. Have a no-translation class once a week, etc.

EhabIsaac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
Can i know why did u removed my Reply in this Topic?

Alaa.ANA

Member Type
Student or Learner
there ia many ways to teach english.
1- study more than 2 class weekly.
2. read stories or book in english.
3. start to write english.

bwkcaj_ca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
dhenique

To offer you useful advice it would help to know more about why you find it necessary use your native language in the teaching process.

Are your students beginners with very little command of English? If so, perhaps your lessons are too advanced for them. I'll assume that's the problem.

When I find myself teaching a group of absolute beginners I always begin with vocabulary. Drawings or photographs of concrete nouns teach useful vocabulary and require minimal explanation. I progress from that to pronouns: demonstrative then interrogative and the question words. These words combined with 'be' in its various forms provide lots of opportunity to create simple conversation and allow the students to practice their comprehension.

If this doesn't apply or isn't helpful to you please provide more information about your specific situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.