Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Teaching English to Babies

I've been teaching 2 to 5 year old children for 2 years and you should try Oxford's Cookie and friends play pack.The teacher's guide is fantastic but don't use the pupil's book.At his age its easy for them to learn the colours, the numbers, some family words, jungle animals, body parts and toys. I think that these are enough for just one year.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaching English to Babies

Quote Originally Posted by samflutch View Post
    It is never too early to introduce English to your baby. Babies love sounds, rhymes, and stories. Learning a language comes naturally to them. Most experts agree that babyhood is the best time to learn a second language. From birth to about age two or three, your baby's brain acts like a sponge. This is also the best time for a parent to teach a language. Parents and other adults naturally speak more slowly and clearly to babies than older children. They also tend to repeat words and phrases often. Repetition is very important for language learning.
    ----------------------------------
    Samflutch

I absolutely agree. The problem is with the word 'teach'; it's a big mistake to aim for anything like instruction. And schools that force this on unwilling and unprepared teachers are sorely misguided.

b

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Afterthought: I've just read in Guy Deutscher's The Unfolding of Language the story of Kanzi (the pygmy chimp who was taught a very limited way of communicating in a symbolic language). I knew the story from a long way back, but I didn't know this bit:
    ...Kanzi... used to play by her mother's side during training sessions, when researchers tried (rather unsuccessfully) to teach her to communicate by pointing at picture-symbols. The trainers ignored the baby because they thought he was still too young to learn, but... Kanzi went on to develop cognitive and communicative skills far surpassing [those of (ed. - excuse the language, he's only a linguist )] any other ape before.
    Amazon.co.uk: The Unfolding of Language: Guy Deutscher: Books p. 17

Of course there's no comparison in many respects, but this suggests that Tdol was right about concentrating on the mothers.

b

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Teaching English to Babies

This is Joany Lam, I've been a mother of Two Children, I have two sons, the elder one is Levin and the little one is Lerry. I wish I can have one more baby and she is a daughter,but here is not allow here in China. Our government said it is"Over-procreation" and government will penalty. So it'll became another pressure.

Well,now, because of China had been attended WTO and English became very useful here in China. So I wish my two sons can study English well for the future work. Maybe go study abroad and get a good job etc. So I would roughly like to enter this forum with every one here and would like to share together with everyone here's experince. I specially, using our sockpal puppets to teach my baby to learn every animals, then if my Children have learned the word and can distinguish what animails they are and what's their name,then I continue to write some story and use the puppet theater to tell the story to my baby. It is very succeed, now,my baby can speak fluent perfect English.
    Last edited by Anglika; 14-Apr-2009 at 22:08. Reason: removal of unapproved links

myfawy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Don't be discouraged Thread! I am also interested in teaching babies and toddlers English. To be successful, you will need to be repetitive, cosistent and involved the mothers/fathers as well. Business gimmick or no, in the long run they will benefit. Think of the under 2 year olds in India or Singapore; their kids are multilingual before the legal school age. Go for it!

TWOC is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

it doesnt neccesarily have to be a nightmare and i dont agree with anyone who thinks it is not beneficial to start a babies English learning from this age...yes i agree the babies will not be able to speak initially but they will be listening...and listening is always an under-valued skill. But in-fact it is of equal importance to speaking/reading and writing. And the student who develops good listening skills will be able to develop much more effectively. It will take time and patience but your kids WILL eventually be able to speak. If the mothers are worried please stress to them that even if they are listening they are learning.
    I would suggest that you involve the mothers with if not all most of the activities...choose some songs with actions that the mother can do with the child. Eg row, row, row your boat, action songs. You can teach head shoulders song, but instead of using the CD song (becasue its probably too fast) you should do it in accapella and sing it slowly. First i suggest teaching each body part individually then do the song. Whilst you are singing the song the mothers can be touching the parts of the body related to the song. This way the mothers and babies are both involved and everyone is learning (including the mother/father). I would suggest to do this for about 4 lessons...and then change song...but dont forget it completely but instead come back to it another day.
    You can also teach the alphabet by maybe doing 1 to 3 each lesson and after repeating the letter a few times...you can get the mothers to trace out the letters outline on the babies back or hand or wherever.
    My last piece of advice is motivation...you can motivate a kid (baby or otheriwse) to speak louder by asking who has the loudest voice etc and whoever speaks up you can reward with a high-5, sticker or something..when the other kids see this they may also speak up. Try this every lesson until you get a result. When they have spoken up a few times it will be difficult to get them to be quiet again.
    the last thing i will say is that most things i have mentioned are based on teaching a class of babies and mothers of about 30 in one class. (ie 30 babies and 30 mothers). So it is not ideal...and if you have a much smaller class of 8 or under it is more ideal and you could do a better job than me. But if i can be successful you can too. Furthermore I am a guy and i teach it by-myself. So i dont agree that only females or japanese speakers(although i do speak japanese sometimes) are suitable for this job...
    Gambatte!

EhabIsaac is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Palestinian Territory
      • Current Location:
      • Palestinian Territory
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol So right x]

Momomelba is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I agree with TWOC. I teach English to children from 2 to 10 years of age. I have a guy teaching English with my materials in Vienna and he's greaaat. The kids love him and the mums do too. I'm also thinking of starting to teach babies and parents....(gulp). But the parents will supervise their own kids, so half the work is already done. I think it's a great idea. I would never advise anyone to take on a group of babies or toddlers who are not out of nappies (diapers)! Don't do it to yourself!

As for parents teaching their own kids, my view is that children need to hear a native English speaker, rather than their parents (unless their English is exceptional), and the sooner the babies start, the more natural English will be to them. I would advise parents to get their children into a course or find a native speaker friend; listen to songs or watch English on TV or audio books. Don't programme less than perfect English into your child, or that's what's going to come out!

My goal is to open up branches in Japan and China... and wherever. The aim in our classrooms is to create an environment, which is very much a child's dream environment, but in English. Just go for the same kind of activities that your own toddler group would do. Teaching with activities that the child is naturally interested in is a must. Make it as hands on as possible and as messy as you can stand.
    Gambaro, ne.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    My mother-in-law is korean and she takes care of a two year old girl. The child is very smart like a lot of other children. The little girl watches some english videos (same ones repeatedly) and is taught English and Korean vocabulary when reading her kiddies books. This little girl at age two can tell you a few body parts in english, identify some fruit and a few animals.
    She already understands that I am an English speaker so she says "Hello" to me instead of greeting me in korean.
    I'm certain many other children could develop like this if guided correctly.
    The funny thing is my mother-in-law is learning just as much new English as the little girl!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2