Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    Q: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?
    I have once writed an essay. In one paragraph of my essay,I descriped something(let's name it A) "will happen",but again,I also descriped another things (let's name it B)"would happen".
    Of course "A things" were associated with "B things".Their relation was that "A" lead to "B".
    But anyway,what I means is that "A" were connected with "B".
    But a native speaker said I should constantly use one tense.
    Maybe I confuse:
    When to use "would" as a modal verb?
    When to use "would" as the past tense?
    When to use "will" as a modal verb?
    When to use "will" as the future tense?
    Can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph at the same time?
    Should I avoid using "will" instead of "would" (just as what many writing books have said )when I justify something?
    Sorry, I can't find out the best way to descript my question.
    Last edited by nixgnoy; 06-Mar-2010 at 10:23.

  2. #2
    mmasny is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    Quote Originally Posted by nixgnoy View Post
    Q: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?
    I have once wrote an essay (when you specify the time with 'once' (I know it isn't much of a specification, but this is a rule) you should use the past simple tense. Also, the verb 'write' is an irregular verb. It's "write, wrote, written"). In one paragraph of my essay, (put spaces after commas!) I described something (spaces before paretheses!) (let's name it A) "will happen", but again, I also described another things (only one thing can be 'another'. 'Another' means 'an other' which explains it well enough) (let's name it B) "would happen".
    Of course, "A things" were associated with "B things". (Spaces after periods!) Their relation was that "A" leads to "B".
    But anyway, what I means (I mean, not means) is that "A" was connected with "B".
    But a native speaker said I should constantly use one tense.
    Maybe I confuse:
    When to use "would" as a modal verb?
    When to use "would" as the past tense?
    When to use "will" as a modal verb?
    When to use "will" as the future tense?
    Can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph at the same time?
    Sorry, I can't find out the best way to descript describe my question.
    Hi. Before someone answers your question I'll correct your post. Note that, even after my corrections, it still doesn't sound very good.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Hi. Before someone answers your question I'll correct your post. Note that, even after my corrections, it still doesn't sound very good.
    Thank you very much for your correction! sincerely! faithfully!
    I also add another question in my original message, that is
    Should I avoid using "will" instead of "would" (just as what many writing books have said )when I justify something?
    Last edited by nixgnoy; 06-Mar-2010 at 11:38.

  4. #4
    mmasny is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    You're welcome. I forgot do add that I am not a teacher.

  5. #5
    AbidJagirdar is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    It Actually depends, if you were to say, "I Will eat an apple," then say "I would eat an apple," it wouldn't make sense, but you can mix up tenses in one paragraph, its fine, depends how you use it, try not to contradict yourself. mixing up tenses is really good high level english (if doing a GCSE or an exam on english mix it up )

    anyway back to your point, would and will, you can got together but depends how, you cant say "tommorow i will go to the park" and then say "tommorow i would go to the park" because it would sound like the word "but" is coming. im sorry im not that good at explaining, but a student myself, maybe a teacher can elaborate on what i say, i write english naturally so i dont have problems, i dont really worry about the tenses as i can just write it without a second thought

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    You're welcome. I forgot do add that I am not a teacher.
    but your english is very good! envying~~~~

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    Quote Originally Posted by AbidJagirdar View Post
    It Actually depends, if you were to say, "I Will eat an apple," then say "I would eat an apple," it wouldn't make sense, but you can mix up tenses in one paragraph, its fine, depends how you use it, try not to contradict yourself. mixing up tenses is really good high level english (if doing a GCSE or an exam on english mix it up )

    anyway back to your point, would and will, you can got together but depends how, you cant say "tommorow i will go to the park" and then say "tommorow i would go to the park" because it would sound like the word "but" is coming. im sorry im not that good at explaining, but a student myself, maybe a teacher can elaborate on what i say, i write english naturally so i dont have problems, i dont really worry about the tenses as i can just write it without a second thought
    Thank you very much! but maybe I need more examples~~~

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    Quote Originally Posted by nixgnoy View Post
    Thank you very much! but maybe I need more examples~~~
    Perhaps it would be easier simply to post the paragraph that you're not sure about.
    If it is similar (or the same) as the one I corrected below, then I'll let others give an opinion.

    On the other hand, it is undeniable that money has a brief effect on life satisfaction, particularly after we have got enough money to satisfy our fundamental needs. For example, people who get richer would feel they are better than their peers. Nevertheless, they will soon make richer friends. Therefore, their relative wealth will not be is not greater than it was before; people quickly get used to all new stuff their money can buy and the amount of money people say they need rises along with their income. Consequently, the endless and vicious cycle in terms of physically and psychologically stress begins again.
    Your example here should be completely in the present tense. You are describing an unchanging law of human nature. You don't need to say that things would happen or will happen. Just say they do happen.
    You can use the future tense (or other tenses, or conditional) as long as it is all consistent. For example, you can say to your friend: You are going to make more money, but then your friends will also have more money ... etc.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Perhaps it would be easier simply to post the paragraph that you're not sure about.
    If it is similar (or the same) as the one I corrected below, then I'll let others give an opinion.

    On the other hand, it is undeniable that money has a brief effect on life satisfaction, particularly after we have got enough money to satisfy our fundamental needs. For example, people who get richer would feel they are better than their peers. Nevertheless, they will soon make richer friends. Therefore, their relative wealth will not be is not greater than it was before; people quickly get used to all new stuff their money can buy and the amount of money people say they need rises along with their income. Consequently, the endless and vicious cycle in terms of physically and psychologically stress begins again.
    Your example here should be completely in the present tense. You are describing an unchanging law of human nature. You don't need to say that things would happen or will happen. Just say they do happen.
    You can use the future tense (or other tenses, or conditional) as long as it is all consistent. For example, you can say to your friend: You are going to make more money, but then your friends will also have more money ... etc.
    Dear Raymott:
    Your explanation is very good and helpful to me! it's quite clear and easy to understand. I have learned from your correction that when describing a proved rule (an unchanging law of human nature), I should use the present tense and follow it until I change the topic. but when leaving this sample that happen to describe an unchanging law of human nature, I have some new questions again (just as I mentioned in this thread), because most of time I have to justify a disscusion by hypothesizing, then I have to use "would" as a modal word (maybe my opinion is wrong, justifying something should use facts, I am not sure). Or in other words, how to consolidate all different tenses in a paragraph? If I want to use "would" as a modal word, would (will) it be regarded as a past tense? (just in this sentence, I still not sure whether I shoud use "would" or "will" ). Sorry, I aways make things complicated~~~

  10. #10
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: can "would" and "will" be used in a same paragraph?

    Quote Originally Posted by nixgnoy View Post
    If I want to use "would" as a modal word, would (will) it be regarded as a past tense? (just in this sentence, I still not sure whether I shoud use "would" or "will" ). Sorry, I aways make things complicated~~~
    If I want to use 'would' as a modal verb, would it be regarded as a past tense?
    If I wanted to use 'would' as a modal verb, would it be regarded as a past tense?
    If I use 'would' as a modal verb, will/would it be regarded as a past tense? (In this case, it is assumed that you have used it by the time it is read, so it's not as conditional as the first two).

    I know this is complicated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] "will" and "be going to"
    By terrenziqq in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2009, 06:22
  2. usage of modal "will"
    By lycen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2009, 21:54
  3. [Grammar] Can we use an adverb to modify the verb "will"
    By btg760 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2008, 22:24
  4. Use of "would" in place of "will"
    By tanvirtonu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2008, 19:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •