• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default eatery/follow suit/come forward/fancy dress/out in force/put minds at rest/plummet/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Under a new government initiative smoking is to be banned in all restaurants in the city starting this week. The ban excludes pubs which do not serve food. If the ban is successful, it is expected that local village eateries will also follow suit.

eatery = a restaurant

follow suit = imitate or do as someone else has done

Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

come forward = respond; present oneself, offer one's services

Volunteers in fancy dress will collect money along the way, which will be donated to the local hospital.

fancy dress = a masquerade costume

Local conservationists are now out in force in an attempt to locate the butterfly and find out more about it.

out in force = not be able to; not be in a position to

There will be health representatives in all schools this week to talk to parents and children and put minds at rest.

put somebody's mind at rest = to make someone stop worrying

And now for the weather: Temperatures are expected to plummet today to a maximum of 5 degrees as a cold front sweeps up from the South.

plummet = drop sharply

Tomorrow things will be much the same, so wrap up warm!

wrap up = dress; provide with clothes

I haven't lived on a farm as such, but I've visited family friends who have lived on farms.

as such = like

Yeah, I guess, I'm kind of in the same boat, but I just don't know if I laugh that much. Maybe I'm in trouble.

in the same boat = in the same position

Yeah, I remember when I was young, my mother used to teach me to splash my face with cold water in the morning because she believed that helped wake you up, and I remember as a child not liking that at all because I found it too cold. I preferred to splash my face with warm water.

splash = spray; sprinkle

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: eatery/follow suit/come forward/fancy dress/out in force/put minds at rest/plumme

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Under a new government initiative smoking is to be banned in all restaurants in the city starting this week. The ban excludes pubs which do not serve food. If the ban is successful, it is expected that local village eateries will also follow suit.

eatery = a restaurant

follow suit = imitate or do as someone else has done

Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

come forward = respond; present oneself, offer one's services

Volunteers in fancy dress will collect money along the way, which will be donated to the local hospital.

fancy dress = a masquerade costume

Local conservationists are now out in force in an attempt to locate the butterfly and find out more about it.

out in force = not be able to exert full force; not be in a position to influence

There will be health representatives in all schools this week to talk to parents and children and put minds at rest.

put somebody's mind at rest = to make someone stop worrying Ok

And now for the weather: Temperatures are expected to plummet today to a maximum of 5 degrees as a cold front sweeps up from the South.

plummet = drop sharply Ok

Tomorrow things will be much the same, so wrap up warm!

wrap up = dress; provide with clothes, I am not sure. To my knowledge it means: to conclude; finish workon: They are going to wrap up the project

I haven't lived on a farm as such, but I've visited family friends who have lived on farms.

as such = like , We use the other way: such as =like, as such = in itself or in themselves

Yeah, I guess, I'm kind of in the same boat, but I just don't know if I laugh that much. Maybe I'm in trouble.

in the same boat = in the same position Ok

Yeah, I remember when I was young, my mother used to teach me to splash my face with cold water in the morning because she believed that helped wake you up, and I remember as a child not liking that at all because I found it too cold. I preferred to splash my face with warm water.
    splash = spray; sprinkle Ok

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Excepting the few comments rest are fine.