What is the correct punctuation for multiple quotations in the same sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGuy

Member Type
Other
I haven’t been able to find an answer for this one anywhere. What is the correct punctuation between the multiple quotations in the following sentence?

Next time you watch a news program notice how many times the anchors use words, phrases, or questions like these: “May” “Might” “Could” “Let’s get his take on this.” “What do you think he will say?” “What do you think he was trying to say?” “What do you think he will do?”

Last edited:

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
I haven’t been able to find an answer for this one anywhere. What is the correct punctuation between the multiple quotations in the following sentence?

Next time you watch a news program notice how many times the anchors use words, phrases, or questions like these: “May” “Might” “Could” “Let’s get his take on this.” “What do you think he will say?” “What do you think he was trying to say?” “What do you think he will do?”

Grammatically these words or phrases each require a comma (unless, as with the last ones, they already have their punctuation.) In reality, however, I would consider it perfectly acceptable to have no punctuation here, since the quotation marks do the job of separating each word and phrase. I'd leave it as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.