Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
We will be commemorating in 2015, the year of the 750th anniversary of the birth of our First High Priest.

Is the part in bold needed? I guess it isn't. However, could some member/s confirm whether I am correct? Furthermore, are there any errors in the sentence?

Thanks in advance.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We will be commemorating in 2015, the year of the 750th anniversary of the birth of our First High Priest.

Is the part in bold needed? I guess it isn't. However, could some member/s confirm whether I am correct? Furthermore, are there any errors in the sentence?

Thanks in advance.
How about: In 2015 we will commemorate the 750th anniversary of the birth of our First High Priest.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Thanks in advance.
It's fine. It's ceremonial, which could well be appropriate given the context.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
It's fine. It's ceremonial, which could well be appropriate given the context.
Thanks, Bhaisahab.

I feel the part in bold is not needed because 'anniversary' makes 'the year of' redundant. Could you excuse me for my asking for clarification?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks, Bhaisahab.

I feel the part in bold is not needed because 'anniversary' makes 'the year of' redundant. Could you excuse for my asking for clarification?

Many thanks.
You could leave it out, it would mean the same, but it is more "ceremonial" with it left in. In my opinion.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.