Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Subjunctive mood

    Background:

    John is asked to correct any errors that he can find in an essay as part of a language training course. There are five errors, but John can only find three. The teacher may say the following to him:

    There should have been two more errors that you could have picked out.
    There should have been two more errors that you could pick out.
    There should be two more errors that you could have picked out.
    There should be two more errors that you can pick out.

    Please advise which of the above four sounds most natural and correct in English. Thank you.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,079
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Subjunctive mood

    Quote Originally Posted by jiaruchan View Post
    Background:

    John is asked to correct any errors that he can find in an essay as part of a language training course. There are five errors, but John can only find three. The teacher may say the following to him:

    There should have been two more errors that you could have picked out.
    There should have been two more errors that you could pick out.
    There should be two more errors that you could have picked out.
    There should be two more errors that you can pick out.

    Please advise which of the above four sounds most natural and correct in English. Thank you.
    They are all a bit awkward, try: "There are two more errors that you should be able to find".

  2. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,307
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Subjunctive mood

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "There are two more errors that you should be able to find".
    Could "to detect" be used instead of "to find" in this sentence?

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,079
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Subjunctive mood

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Could "to detect" be used instead of "to find" in this sentence?
    Yes, it could.

Similar Threads

  1. Subjunctive Mood
    By kl004535 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Feb-2010, 12:32
  2. [Grammar] Subjunctive mood: The usage of omitting "if"
    By terrenziqq in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2009, 18:55
  3. Subjunctive Mood
    By kiranlegend in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2008, 14:17
  4. The Subjunctive Mood
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-May-2008, 06:00
  5. as if subjunctive mood
    By Progress in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2007, 12:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •