Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In this paragraph:

In that country, peasant girls bound for "service in the city" were invariably given such cloaks as a going-away present. No doubt the girls' talents had been discovered in some village and they bound over to the Wizards' Guild.

I have some difficulties as for the meaning of the first bound and also the second bound over

First I thought the first one was meaning some connotation of destiny or intention: peasant girls who was thinking of going to the city, but bound over seems to have some commination. I'm not entirely sure of my suppositions.

Please, what does really mean the first bound and the second, bound over?

Thank You

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this paragraph:

In that country, peasant girls bound for "service in the city" were invariably given such cloaks as a going-away present. No doubt the girls' talents had been discovered in some village and they bound over to the Wizards' Guild.

I have some difficulties as for the meaning of the first bound and also the second bound over

First I thought the first one was meaning some connotation of destiny or intention: peasant girls who was thinking of going to the city, but bound over seems to have some commination. I'm not entirely sure of my suppositions.

Please, what does really mean the first bound and the second, bound over?

Thank You

If you are BOUND somewhere, it means that is where you/mode of transport are going. For example: I boarded a plane bound for New York.
It means the final destination.

To bound means to jump, or skip. If someone "bounds over" to you, then they come towards you quite fast. Dogs are frequently said to "bound" around the park - a sort of mixture of running and jumping.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
If you are BOUND somewhere, it means that is where you/mode of transport are going. For example: I boarded a plane bound for New York.
It means the final destination.

To bound means to jump, or skip. If someone "bounds over" to you, then they come towards you quite fast. Dogs are frequently said to "bound" around the park - a sort of mixture of running and jumping.

Are you meaning that in the paragraph, the girls gone to the wizard's guild very fast. Weren't they forced to go to the city?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you meaning that in the paragraph, the girls gone to the wizard's guild very fast. Weren't they forced to go to the city?

It does appear in the first sentence that they are being sent for service in the city, therfore are being forced to go.

I can see confusion in the second part. If the girls WERE BOUND OVER or WERE BOUND TO the Wizard's Guild, then that in fact suggests that they were metaphorically tied to the Guild (ie they had to be members even if they didn't want to be). However, the original simply says they "bound over" which as a standalone phrasal verb, as far as I'm aware, can only mean to go there very fast.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The words, as you guessed, have different meanings. To be "bound over" means to be held for or given to.

So, if they were given to the guild, in some way they were forced to go to the guild, weren't they?

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
So they are different verbs. First one is to bind, second one is to bound. Am I right?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: A very common colllocation for this sort of 'bound over' is 'bound over to keep the peace'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.