Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
American Samoa
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hello,

In the following sentence, would a comma be necessary...
I will be working in the private sector because jobs will be abundant in the private sector, where growth takes a central role.

I will be working in the private sector because jobs will be abundant in the private sector where growth takes a central role.

Do you know when I would need a comma before where and when I would not need a comma?

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

In the following sentence, would a comma be necessary...
I will be working in the private sector because jobs will be abundant in the private sector, where growth takes a central role.

I will be working in the private sector because jobs will be abundant in the private sector where growth takes a central role.

Do you know when I would need a comma before where and when I would not need a comma?

***NOT A TEACHER***

Good morning.

(1) You have asked a very good question.

(2) It all depends on what you wish to convey.

(3) I suspect that No. l expresses your intended meaning;
(a) Yes, you need a comma.
(b)The words after the comma are what the books call a nonrestrictive clause. That is, it is just extra information. If you erased the words, it would make no difference to the meaning.
(c)" I will be working in the private sector because jobs will be abundant in the private sector." That is your main point.
(d)Then you add something like: Oh, by the way, growth takes a central role in the private sector, so that's why jobs will be abundant.
(e) As you can see, the extra words just give some more information. It's like a P.S.

(4) Your sentence no. 2 is not "bad" English. It COULD be correct only under this circumstance. Let me try to explain:
(a) Let's say that the private sector has jobs in which growth takes a central role and jobs in which growth does NOT take a central role.
(b) Then you would not use a comma because it would not be extra information.
(c) Your sentence would be something likeL I will be working in the private sector because jobs will be abundant only in that part of the private sector where growth takes a central role.
(d) As you see, "where growth takes a central role" is restrictive. That is, it is absolutely necessary information that explains what you mean by "the private sector."
(e) If you erased the words "where growth takes a central role," your sentence would be incomplete: I will be working in the private sector because jobs will be abundant only in that part of the private sector."
(f) People would expect you to finish the sentence. They would ask: Only in that part of the private sector WHAT?
(g) Then you would have say: Oh, excuse me. I was referring to that part of the private sector WHERE GROWTH TAKES A CENTRAL ROLE. I was NOT referring to that part of the private sector where growth does NOT take a central role.

(5) As I said, I believe that your first sentence (with the comma) serves what you wish to say.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.