Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Can Bulgarian prima Lili Ivanova read music scores?

scores = the notation of a musical work

The international Vinaria 2010 exhibition starts today within the International Plovdiv Fair. Vinaria happens for the 18th time and it will give floor to the best wines and new technologies, equipment and materials from leading wine producers all over the world.

On Thursday, July 31, Professional Women in Construction (PWC) will give the floor to a group of developers behind some of NYC's most innovative residential and commercial spaces at a breakfast (8 to 10 a.

give floor = recognize; send in; exhibit

By the way, I would like to dispel the prevailing myth about ballot stuffing.

stuffing = filling ballot boxes with false ballots
ballot stuffing = electoral fraud

In the plot were used documentary footage, very reminiscent of hostilities in August 2008.

footage = sequence; an amount or length of film or videotape

However, "spetsreportazh" had already made a bombshell.

The book was a political bombshell.

The news came as a bombshell to them.

bombshell = one that is sensationally shocking, surprising, or amazing; a shocking surprise

After the airing of television spetsreportazha to the building began to arrive angry and shocked residents of the capital and opposition leaders, among whom was the leader of the Democratic Movement - United Georgia, Nino Burjanadze.

airing = broadcasting

As the agency InterpressNews, most Goriytsev left home and went out into the street. There were queues outside petrol stations, where people tried to stock up with petrol.

stock up = to build up a supply of something

[FONT=&quot]Impeachment [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sparks off[/FONT][FONT=&quot] War of Nerves in Bulgaria[/FONT]

spark off = put in motion or move to act

Bulgarian wines “taste bitter” to their producers because of the dumping policy of foreign competitors and unbearably high taxes that retail chains collect from wineries.

dumping policy = predatory pricing is the practice of selling a product or service at a very low price, intending to drive competitors out of the market, or create barriers to entry for potential new competitors

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The international Vinaria 2010 exhibition starts today within the International Plovdiv Fair. Vinaria happens for the 18th time and it will give floor to the best wines and new technologies, equipment and materials from leading wine producers all over the world.

To me, give the floor is more than giving floor space; it is giving a platform to express opinions.
However, "spetsreportazh" had already made a bombshell.
Make doesn't work here IMO.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.