Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

All the members will get a windfall, a special once-only-payment of some of he society assets to its member.

windfall = a sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune or personal gain

A key aspect of the forum was the chance to put candidates on the spot with anonymous written questions.

People try to put us and ask which one of the two cups we’d prefer to win. I just answer “both”.

Although it can often be difficult for the teaching assistant to put them on the spot, student criticism ultimately helps both the student and teacher.

The offence has repeatedly put the defence on the spot with turnovers.

Most of them had been due to efforts on the spot by units of the Red Army.

on the spot = under pressure or attention; in a pressed position

You can then book, confirm and finalize the details of your holiday on the spot.

A check of the water's temperature is often made on the spot and smaller samples may also be taken and treated immediately to enable a measurement of dissolved oxygen to be made, or to fix for the presence of certain substances such as cyanide.

on the spot = at once, without delay

Whenever there's a bad accident or fire, you can be sure the station will have a reporter on the spot.

Do 20 walking jogs on the spot, raising your arms up and down.

on the spot = at the scene of action

We've found ourselves in a spot of bother with the police over at the office.

John had lost all his money in the crap game--now he was in a spot.

in a spot = in real trouble, in an actual predicament; in a difficult or embarrassing situation, in a dilemma

Despite a couple of the dictionaries, to me “on the spot” is not quite the same as “in a spot”.
As I understand it “to put someone on the spot” is more subjective, to embarrass them or make them feel awkward or uncomfortable. But the way is that it’s in a certain way by singling them out, focusing on them, drawing attention to them, putting a spotlight on them, placing them front and center testing their response to stress or criticism.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
All the members will get a windfall, a special once-only-payment of some of he society assets to its member.

windfall = a sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune or personal gain

A key aspect of the forum was the chance to put candidates on the spot with anonymous written questions.

People try to put us and ask which one of the two cups we’d prefer to win. I just answer “both”.

Although it can often be difficult for the teaching assistant to put them on the spot, student criticism ultimately helps both the student and teacher.

The offence has repeatedly put the defence on the spot with turnovers.

Most of them had been due to efforts on the spot by units of the Red Army.

on the spot = under pressure or attention; in a pressed position=in trouble; in a difficult situation (Idiomatic)

You can then book, confirm and finalize the details of your holiday on the spot.

A check of the water's temperature is often made on the spot and smaller samples may also be taken and treated immediately to enable a measurement of dissolved oxygen to be made, or to fix for the presence of certain substances such as cyanide.

on the spot = at once, without delay Ok

Whenever there's a bad accident or fire, you can be sure the station will have a reporter on the spot.

Do 20 walking jogs on the spot, raising your arms up and down.

on the spot = at the scene of action Ok (used as adjective)

We've found ourselves in a spot of bother with the police over at the office.

John had lost all his money in the crap game--now he was in a spot.

in a spot = in real trouble, in an actual predicament; in a difficult or embarrassing situation, in a dilemma=caught in a problem; in a jam

Despite a couple of the dictionaries, to me “on the spot” is not quite the same as “in a spot”.
As I understand it “to put someone on the spot” is more subjective, to embarrass them or make them feel awkward or uncomfortable. But the way is that it’s in a certain way by singling them out, focusing on them, drawing attention to them, putting a spotlight on them, placing them front and center testing their response to stress or criticism.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

I think ‘on-the-spot’ in literal sense (At the scene of action) is used as adjective. As:
The team will make an on-the-spot visit.
There will be an on-the-spot inspection of the damaged goods.
As an adverb, its use is mostly idiomatic, where as In a spot is always used idiomatically; as:
I am in a spot. Can you lend me $200 just now?

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.