Post Thanks / Like

Default It Happens in a Perfume Store

Hi people,
    This is an essay I wrote some time ago. Take a look at it and don't hesitate to tell what you think of it. THnaks in advance.

It Happens in a Perfume Store

My sense of smelling is happening to be ruined whenever I come in a perfume store. Unwillingly I sniff deals of scents and thus my nose aches. Unlike in the case of cutting onion, however, my eyes are still intact, and that is a good point.
    Perfume salesmen are brave enough to fill the atmosphere with fragrance in an earnest attempt to attract customers. Thus, the feeling of being entangled seizes me as soon as I step toward any perfume store.
    The shapes and the colors of the perfume glasses are expected to do the other part of the job. There you are probable to find egg-, snail- or tulip-shaped glasses, but the most probable thing is that you will find a perfume that is contained in a glass which takes the shape of a woman’s body. And that is a considerable passionate way of sales promotion.
    The first step I used to take inside a perfume store is to make sure that my legs are put in a men’s perfume store. I definitely know that every product has its counterpart in a women’s perfume store. I learned that fact from the advertisements that encounter us daily in the newspapers. They sometimes take a space of a whole page. Anyway, every company produces two editions of each product, and each edition is designed to match the targeted sex. I was told once that they are poured from the same tap, yet. The difference is seemingly the shape. Generally, I am still not sure of that.
    Second, I have to probe the perfume glass carefully. The French three-word cluster EAU DE TOILETTE must appear, written or engraved, on the outer wall of the glass. We have known well and appreciated since a long time the quality that French brands provide.
    It is almost a magnificent fact that many brands of perfumes have no expiry dates shown on their glass walls. So there is no fear of the possibility of being poisoned at all.
    It happens that sometimes I go to the perfume store having a particular brand in my mind. That brand is usually either used by me before or prescribed to me by a friend. In such a case, it is going to be easy to buy a perfume. Otherwise, I have to try different names or brands, and this is the core of the problem. As the perfume salesman begins to sprinkle more than one brand of perfume hospitably on the backs of my both hands, I feel that all the smells are becoming mingled, and I could not distinguish them any more. So, I used to ask him to spray on the sleeves of my thobe, each sleeve with a brand. Then, I have to memorize correspondent brand of each sleeve. It seems a very complicated process although I consider it a test for memory.
    Trying to make it easier, some perfume salesmen use thick cards that keep the smell for a quite long time and that perfume producers provided them with. But, unfortunately, I discovered that some of those salesmen misuse the cards. They sometimes exchange cards for perfumes other than the original ones that correspond with them. And that triggers another problem.

Thank you!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It Happens in a Perfume Store

I'll start:

My sense of smell is ruined whenever I come in a perfume store. Unwillingly, I sniff many scents and thus my nose aches. Unlike cutting an onion, however, my eyes are still intact, and that is a good point.
    Perfume salesmen are brave enough to fill the atmosphere with fragrance in an earnest attempt to attract customers. Thus, the feeling of being entangled seizes me as soon as I step toward any perfume store.

You're off to an interesting start.