Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Italy
Can you help me by paraphrasing "extension of one's effort".
What can I use to replace it?

Here is the sentence:
The community gives the police the sole responsibility for protecting their community when we are really just the extension of your effort. Police needs the eyes and ears of the community to get the information.

lukre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Italy
Could it be paraphrased with "...when we are really just relying on your help"?

Thank you! :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can you help me by paraphrasing "extension of one's effort".
What can I use to replace it?

Here is the sentence:
The community gives the police the sole responsibility for protecting their community when we are really just the extension of your effort. Police needs the eyes and ears of the community to get the information.
Context is needed to interpret the 'we' and 'your'.
If this is a statement by the police, then the police are saying that they are just an extension of the community's effort to protect itself.
In that case, no, "we are relying on your help" is not good. The sentence means that the community relies on the police's help, not vice versa.

lukre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Italy
Thank you for your response.

Here is the context:
"The community gives the police the sole responsibility for protecting their community when we (police) are really just the extension of your (comunity's) effort. Police needs the eyes and ears of the community to get the information."

I got the impression that the police said they needed the comunity's help because the police couldn't do everything by themselves.
So that's why they needed the eyes and ears of the comunity.
That's why I tought they are the ones who are relying on the comunity and not vice versa as you said.

Am I wrong? :-?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for your response.

Here is the context:
"The community gives the police the sole responsibility for protecting their community when we (police) are really just the extension of your (comunity's) effort. Police needs the eyes and ears of the community to get the information."

I got the impression that the police said they needed the comunity's help because the police couldn't do everything by themselves.
So that's why they needed the eyes and ears of the comunity.
That's why I tought they are the ones who are relying on the comunity and not vice versa as you said.

Am I wrong? :-?
You are both right and wrong. The community and the police have to help each other. The second sentence means that the police can't do everything themselves, especially when they are just an extension of the community's effort, so yes they need the community's help.
But the first sentence, and the phrase you asked the meaning of, says that it is primarily the community's job (their effort) that protects the community. The police are there to help (to extend that effort). The community cannot just give up all of its responsibility to protect itself and say it's the police's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.