Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

“All working Bulgarians should shoulder equal tax burden and that’s why it will be fair if we reintroduce the progressive taxation in this country until the middle of next year, at least,” he added.

They worked shoulder to shoulder. (work closely together)

shoulder to shoulder = in close proximity or cooperation;

He shrugged his shoulders.

She has to square her shoulders.

He has broad shoulders. (he is strong, he is able to make much)

She has an old head on her young shoulders. (She is intelligent beyond her years)

He put his shoulder out. (He dislocated his shoulder.)

He rubs shoulders with many people.

At the reception diplomats were rubbing shoulders with heads of state.

rub shoulders with = mix or socialize with

She stands head and shoulders above me.

Stand head and shoulders above someone or something = to be considerably superior to someone or something

He put one's shoulder to the wheel.

put one’s shoulder to the wheel = work hard, make a strenuous effort

Unexpectedly she gave the cold shoulder to me.

give the cold shoulder = to behave towards someone in a way that is not at all friendly, sometimes for reasons that this person does not understand

She has to shoulder her bundle.

During recession many personal was given notice at first and than they have to shoulder theirs knapsack.

shoulder one’s knapsack = quit one’s post

Shoulder arms! (military command)

He shouldered other people's sins.

shoulder = take

They shouldered us into the small room. (They pushed us in the small room.)
He shouldered his way through the crowd.

A big fellow was shouldering aside anyone who got in his way.

He is wise enough, though, to know that this is an unfair burden, but one he should not shoulder aside.

shoulder aside = push aside

"Since you remember those moments we shared so vividly, my prowess as a lover must have left some impression on you," he gritted toughly, then, his eyes glinting dangerously, he told her, straight from the shoulder.

Sometimes he spoke straight from the shoulder and sometimes in puzzles and parables.

straight from the shoulder = manifesting honesty and directness, especially in speech; in a direct manner

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.