Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi, could somebody tell me what that means "sleep like a spoon'' . It was sung in a song, the singer sings '' if I sleep like a spoon or rarely at all''. Maybe it means not to sleep at all?

Sharonk123

Member Type
English Teacher
Most likely the song is referring to "spooning." Two people sleeping in the same bed will both sleep facing in the same direction, usually on their side. They will sleep next to each other with their bodies adjusting to the contours of each other's body. Like spoons in a drawer.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Most likely the song is referring to "spooning." Two people sleeping in the same bed will both sleep facing in the same direction, usually on their side. They will sleep next to each other with their bodies adjusting to the contours of each other's body. Like spoons in a drawer.

Hello teacher,

I am just a French learner and I believe your explanation is a bit romantic but I reckon you are certainly right in your interpretation. Maybe if we knew the writer of this song we can be sure of that.

Have a sunny day.
;-)

Ripley7700

Member Type
Academic
"Spooning" as described above is a fairly common expression in the USA, but it is not an expression that I would use with people I do not know (because it is a romantic reference). I've never heard the expression "sleep like a spoon." If the song does not mean sleeping in the context of two people sleeping together, then my best guess is that it means to curl up when sleeping. But in that case, it is an artist's expression and not a commonly used simile (in the USA).

MraNir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Sorry, but somebody can make a sentence with spooning? Can you use "to spoon" like a normal verb but with the meaning explained above?
I think it is a very great word!

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Judging from the rest of the lyrics of this song ("I Don't Know" by Lisa Hannigan) I believe she is referring to spooning, as mentioned above. "Sleep like a spoon" isn't common usage, but from the context of the lyrics I'm guessing she's wondering whether person (the one she's singing about) likes to cuddle when he/she sleeps, or does he/she prefer to lay at the outer edge of the mattress, or curl up in a fetal position and not be touched during sleep, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.