Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can't wait to get rid of this pub and, as Vince said, start fresh.

I just naturally assume he thinks my shirt's weird, and not what I just said.

Are the above sentences grammatically correct? My spell check says it's wrong.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The first doesn't work- you can 'get out of a pub', but 'get rid of' doesn't have that meaning to me, so I'd change that. I'd also use 'start afresh', but whether it works or not it depends on what you mean by this. If you're just unhappy with the place and want a better pub, then 'let's get out of this pub and go to somewhere new' or similar would work better. If you're doing something like having a meeting or important conversation, then you could 'start afresh'.

The second is a bit unclear. It might be easier to understand if you said '...he thinks it's my shirt that's weird and not what I just said'.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The first doesn't work- you can 'get out of a pub', but 'get rid of' doesn't have that meaning to me, so I'd change that. I'd also use 'start afresh', but whether it works or not it depends on what you mean by this. If you're just unhappy with the place and want a better pub, then 'let's get out of this pub and go to somewhere new' or similar would work better. If you're doing something like having a meeting or important conversation, then you could 'start afresh'.

The second is a bit unclear. It might be easier to understand if you said '...he thinks it's my shirt that's weird and not what I just said'.

Can the first one imply that he/she works or owns a pub and therefore, he/she wants to get rid of it? Then, it would make sense, Am I right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can the first one imply that he/she works or owns a pub and therefore, he/she wants to get rid of it? Then, it would make sense, Am I right?
Yes, that could work, if the person owns the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.