correct pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlan79

Member Type
Student or Learner
I was taught that there are three ways to pronounce the past tense of regular verbs. loved /d/; cooked /t/ and visited /id/. I have noticed that a lot of native americans do not use or respect this rule even in formal language. my question is why do they do this? I posted it four days ago. pelase.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I was taught that there are three ways to pronounce the past tense of regular verbs. loved /d/; cooked /t/ and visited /id/. I have noticed that a lot of native americans do not use or respect this rule even in formal language. my question is why do they do this? I posted it four days ago. pelase.
Could you give any examples?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi carlan, and welcome to the forums.

I'd like to hear the examples as well.

How do you hear these being pronounced?

By the way, the phrase "Native Americans" refers to the indigineous people of North America (or the "American Indian" before the days of policial correctness).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

[FONT=&quot]You’ll probably find that it’s /ɪd/, not /id/.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many English speakers pronounce this /əd/, which is by far the most common pronunciation in Australian English, and maybe in AmE as well.[/FONT]

carlan79

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm talking about English speakers. why do they say "stopped" /stopt/ (which I think It's correct) but "loved" /lovt/ and not /lovd/ as it shoud be. Am I wrong? thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.