• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question with 2+ options

A) When a task is given out, do you immediately jump on it or do you wait until the last minute?

B) When a task is given out, do you immediately jump on it? Or do you wait until the last minute?

C) When a task is given out, do you immediately jump on it? or do you wait until the last minute?

I am assuming A is the most grammatically correct choice due to the structure. However, often times, I want to write it like B due to how it is actually spoken.

Which one of the option is the most grammatically correct in writing and why?

Thanks in advance.

kfredson is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question with 2+ options

Quote Originally Posted by vcolts View Post
    A) When a task is given out, do you immediately jump on it or do you wait until the last minute?

B) When a task is given out, do you immediately jump on it? Or do you wait until the last minute?

C) When a task is given out, do you immediately jump on it? or do you wait until the last minute?

I am assuming A is the most grammatically correct choice due to the structure. However, often times, I want to write it like B due to how it is actually spoken.

Which one of the option is the most grammatically correct in writing and why?

Thanks in advance.
    I totally agree. It is perfectly fine to write it as B if you want to emphasize the contrast. Technically C requires the capitalization of "or," but I doubt that many people would have a problem with the way you have written it. More importantly, I think, you lose the emphasis on "Or" that you seem to be trying to achieve.

J S Brown is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to comment on this because I think A, while grammatically correct, is the wrong way to ask. All options pose questions to be answer with "yes" or "no." If I was asked A, and one of the two options described me, I should answer, "yes." (I do immediately jump on it or wait until the last minute.)

It seems to me that the correct way to ask about a person which option fits is to list the options. However, I'm not sure how that would be properly formatted. Something like this:

Which of these describes your response when given a new task? - 1) You immediately jump; 2) You wait until the last minute.

Does a standard exist for asking a question with a list of options?

kfredson is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J S Brown View Post
    I wanted to comment on this because I think A, while grammatically correct, is the wrong way to ask. All options pose questions to be answer with "yes" or "no." If I was asked A, and one of the two options described me, I should answer, "yes." (I do immediately jump on it or wait until the last minute.)

It seems to me that the correct way to ask about a person which option fits is to list the options. However, I'm not sure how that would be properly formatted. Something like this:

Which of these describes your response when given a new task? - 1) You immediately jump; 2) You wait until the last minute.

I'm not aware of one. I see such lists take many formats.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to ask a question and give a list of options for the answer, then it would be impossible for the answer to be simply yes or no.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'll use a simpler example.

"Are you male or female?" - This is a question which should be answered with "yes" or "no;" not "male" or "female." I understand the intention of such a question is to evoke a choice, but it doesn't actually ask that.

What I want to know is: How should the question be formatted such that is prompts a person to choose an option instead of responding with "yes" or "no?"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'll use a simpler example.

"Are you male or female?" - This is a question which should be answered with "yes" or "no;" not "male" or "female." I understand the intention of such a question is to evoke a choice, but it doesn't actually ask that.

What I want to know is: How should the question be formatted such that is prompts a person to choose an option instead of responding with "yes" or "no?"
    If you want to ensure they make a choice then I would ask, in this example:

Are you male, or are you female?

OR

Which one are you - male or female?

Personally, if anyone replied to "Are you male or female?" with the word "Yes" I would assume they were being very sarcastic. It's along the same lines as those people who, when completing a form and get to the word "Sex" write "Yes please" instead of M or F (male or female).

Edit: I would also add that I disagree with your first statement that the question "Are you male or female?" SHOULD be answered with either yes or no. The question is clearly a choice between 2 things. If I asked you "Do you eat bread or cheese?" you could answer "I eat both", but simply saying "Yes" would not be an appropriate response.

Post Thanks / Like

It may seem sarcastic, but that isn't my concern. I'm curious about what is correct.

"Are you male?" - This seems to me to clearly be a yes/no question. I don't know why it would become a question of options when an "or" is added.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

It may seem sarcastic, but that isn't my concern. I'm curious about what is correct.

"Are you male?" - This seems to me to clearly be a yes/no question. I don't know why it would become a question of options when an "or" is added.
    "Are you male?" is clearly a Yes/No question. As is "Are you female?" However, the addition of the word "or" provides an alternative and if one is given alternatives, the obvious thing to do is to choose between them.

Post Thanks / Like

Then how would I ask a yes/no question about a list of options?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast