Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    word order question

    Could you please explain or probably give a link to the rule regarding the word order in the part of the sentence following direct speech in the sentences like these :

    " I am really happy to see you " she said
    " I am really happy to see you " said the woman
    " I am really happ to see you " Tom said

  2. #2
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: word order question

    Quote Originally Posted by astaf View Post
    Could you please explain or probably give a link to the rule regarding the word order in the part of the sentence following direct speech in the sentences like these :

    " I am really happy to see you " she said
    " I am really happy to see you " said the woman
    " I am really happ to see you " Tom said
    There is only one rule for the direct speech, which is used to give the exact words spoken by another speaker. The spoken words are given between quotation marks (" ") which can be placed either before or after the clause narrating it. In the example sentences, the quoted words are no doubt placed within quotation marks (" ") but without proper punctuation (no full stop or other closing sign) . They are punctuated as follows:
    " I am really happy to see you." she said.
    " I am really happy to see you." said the woman.
    Tom said," I am really happy to see you."

  3. #3
    IHIVG's Avatar
    IHIVG is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: word order question

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    They are punctuated as follows:
    "I am really happy to see you." she said.
    "I am really happy to see you." said the woman.
    Tom said, "I am really happy to see you."
    I think there should be a comma after the direct speech instead of period in #1 and 2. 'She said', 'said the woman' are not independent sentences here -- they are part of the whole sentence.

    Quotation Marks

    Edit: I noticed that in literature, for example, you will hardly find this kind of punctuation:
    Tom said, "I am really happy to see you." There is always a colon after <someone said> if it precedes the direct speech.
    But in other sources it's common.
    Last edited by IHIVG; 27-Mar-2010 at 15:54.

  4. #4
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: word order question

    Quote Originally Posted by IHIVG View Post
    I think there should be a comma after the direct speech instead of period in #1 and 2. 'She said', 'said the woman' are not independent sentences here -- they are part of the whole sentence.

    Quotation Marks

    Edit: I noticed that in literature, for example, you will hardly find this kind of punctuation:
    Tom said, "I am really happy to see you." There is always a colon after <someone said> if it precedes the direct speech.
    But in other sources it's common.
    I think, a comma is optional after the direct speech in respect of 1 and 2.

Similar Threads

  1. Word order inversion in poems
    By José Lázaro da Silva in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2008, 04:24
  2. [Grammar] Word Order
    By nicole1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2008, 21:42
  3. Word order - Urgent!!
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2008, 21:43
  4. word order
    By katspie in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2006, 19:05
  5. Questions about Inversions - Inverted Word Order
    By Anonymous in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-May-2003, 23:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •