Sara Guest

Unhappy Student of translation

Hi,

I am a Slovene student of translation and I had to do a translation from Slovene to English for one of my assignments. As my work is going to be assessed by a native speaker (American) professor, I would be really grateful if you could check a sentence for me.

I had to translate an article on some events connected to the late Pope's funeral. As I tried to translate one of the sentences, I came up with something like this:

"A day of mourning practically consists of cancelling all of the cultural, sports and entertaining events, which are planned for that day, and appropriately adjusting radio and television programmes."

I don't think this sounds English at all, but I really do not know how to better it. I feel particularly insecure about the "entertaining events" and the "appropriately adjusting" part of the sentence. I am also unsure that "practically" fits there at all.

Thank you,

Sara

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Student of translation

Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    Hi,

I am a Slovene student of translation and I had to do a translation from Slovene to English for one of my assignments. As my work is going to be assessed by a native speaker (American) professor, I would be really grateful if you could check a sentence for me.

I had to translate an article on some events connected to the late Pope's funeral. As I tried to translate one of the sentences, I came up with something like this:

"A day of mourning practically consists of cancelling all of the cultural, sports and entertaining events, which are planned for that day, and appropriately adjusting radio and television programmes."

I don't think this sounds English at all, but I really do not know how to better it. I feel particularly insecure about the "entertaining events" and the "appropriately adjusting" part of the sentence. I am also unsure that "practically" fits there at all.

Thank you,

Sara
    How about:

The nine day mourning period of the Pope's death means cancellation all of the cultural, sports and entertainment events and tuning into the live TV broadcasts straight from the Vatican.