• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Grammar correction

Dear teachers / Hi there (let me know which way of addressing you prefer)

I was at work and an arrogant customer ruined my day. I won't talk about it in details since this isn't the place to ramble on. I couldn't talk back much because I was angry and couldn't find words quick enough. After he left I thought I'd jot down what I would've told him if English came more natural to me.

I know there are some grammatical mistakes (Or sentences that doesn't sound right or could be better stated) and I want you to correct it for me.
    Here goes nothing...

...Sir, if you have any complaints or anything to say do so in polite and rational manner, not insult a clerk that works here.

Obviously when you said 'you don't know that and you own a store?' you were personally insulting me. I find it very offending.

You didn't have to say that unless you wanted to intentionally make me feel bad.

Let ME tell you something.
    This 'I'm better than you' attitude you have really irritates me. I detest people with haughty eyes, be that customers or total strangers. You're just that person and I'd rather not see you again. Please jack off and I'd very much appreciate it.

There may be other parts in the above paragraph with grammatical mistakes, but what particularly bothers me is the phrase 'be that', where I've boldened.

Basically what I want to say there is that I detest anyone with haughty eyes no matter who I'm dealing with. Could 'be that' be used there at all, and if it could, is my usage right?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for such... hateful paragraph. I just had to let it off my chest somehow.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grammar correction

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade
    Dear teachers / Hi there (let me know which way of addressing you prefer)

I was at work and an arrogant customer ruined my day. I won't talk about it in details since this isn't the place to ramble on. I couldn't talk back much because I was angry and couldn't find words quick enough. After he left I thought I'd jot down what I would've told him if English came more natural to me.

I know there are some grammatical mistakes (Or sentences that doesn't sound right or could be better stated) and I want you to correct it for me.
    Here goes nothing...

...Sir, if you have any complaints or anything to say do so in polite and rational manner, not insult a clerk that works here.

Obviously when you said 'you don't know that and you own a store?' you were personally insulting me. I find it very offending.

You didn't have to say that unless you wanted to intentionally make me feel bad.

Let ME tell you something.
    This 'I'm better than you' attitude you have really irritates me. I detest people with haughty eyes, be that customers or total strangers. You're just that person and I'd rather not see you again. Please jack off and I'd very much appreciate it.

There may be other parts in the above paragraph with grammatical mistakes, but what particularly bothers me is the phrase 'be that', where I've boldened.

Basically what I want to say there is that I detest anyone with haughty eyes no matter who I'm dealing with. Could 'be that' be used there at all, and if it could, is my usage right?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for such... hateful paragraph. I just had to let it off my chest somehow.
    That's OK but I have to tell you right off the bat that I wouldn't say many of those things the way you did. I know it doesn't always sound fair, but the rule of thumb is "the customer is always right" (yeah, right!...) and as a clerk you have to take a lot in without getting too involved with some cranky or crabby customers. I am not sure where you live but if I told a customer to jack off and that I don't wish to see him again it would cost me my job, no questions asked.
    I would simply say that there is no reason to get emotional over things we can discuss rationally. Your first suggestion seems fine. Telling him that his behavior is irritating and rude is of no use. He is a jackass because that's exactly what he wants to be. If he can't behave, ask him to leave or have the security take care of him.
    Getting into a verbal contest with someone like that is useless as long as you can stay professional and cool.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

To insist that somebody address you politely is certainly okay. (You can't be sure that it would work.) You could also refer that customer to the manager.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    To insist that somebody address you politely is certainly okay. (You can't be sure that it would work.) You could also refer that customer to the manager.

That's true, exept when you tell the customer that he is irritating at the same time. You are just feeding into his ill mannered and obtrusive behavior. It sounds to me he wants to get the clerk going and upset him even more.
    Last edited by Marylin; 26-Apr-2005 at 02:47.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Grammar correction

Yup I'm fully aware of the fact that I shouldn't really crack up on customers. I'm little bit on the safer side in term of the position in this job because my parents own the business and I 'can' actually tell people off if I have to. (Although I've never had to so far)

I still haven't got the answers for my 'real' question though, it sure did go off topic didn't it? Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate all of your inputs but I want to polish my grammar and English usage in general and I wrote this not just to let my anger off my chest, but to have my sentences corrected so that they're free of grammatical mistakes and sound more... English.

Thanks again for all your inputs and I look forward to getting more.
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 26-Apr-2005 at 07:05.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade
    Yup I'm fully aware of the fact that I shouldn't really crack up on customers. I'm little bit on the safer side in term of the position in this job because my parents own the business and I 'can' actually tell people off if I have to. (Although I've never had to so far)

I still haven't got the answers for my 'real' question though, it sure did go off topic didn't it? Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate all of your inputs but I want to polish my grammar and English usage in general and I wrote this not just to let my anger off my chest, but to have my sentences corrected so that they're free of grammatical mistakes and sound more... English.

Thanks again for all your inputs and I look forward to getting more.

I 'can' actually tell people off if I have to.

I see....well, there you go.

Your English is exceptionally good. What do YOU think is wrong with your sentences?

• Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. No "address" is necessary. Here are my corrections:

...Sir, if you have any complaints or anything to say do so in polite and rational manner. Do not insult a clerk that works here.

Obviously, when you said 'you don't know that' and 'you own a store?', you were personally insulting me. I find it very offensive.

Let ME tell you something: the 'I'm better than you' attitude you have really irritates me. I detest people with haughty eyes, be they customers or total strangers. You're just that person and I'd rather not see you again. Jack off! I'd very much appreciate it.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

What is "haughty eyes"? Is that term equivalent to arrogance?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    What is "haughty eyes"? Is that term equivalent to arrogance?

I think it means eyes that have the look of contempt?

You weren't thinking about a hotti, were you Ron?

After I did some googling, it looks like it's a phrase from the Bible.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. No, I wasn't thinking about a hottie.