Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.
Is the phrase: "Can you just listen for a change" right? We don't need to put "to" after listen? Does "listen" always need "to" or no?
For example, if I somebody want to say something, and I'll tell: "I'm listening" it's okay I guess? "I'm listening to" sounds weird, or, maybe, "I'm listening to you" would be ok
Thank you in advance:up:

Gnome

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Denmark
Hello Etern1ty, I'm an American high school student. I'm not a teacher, but I hope my advice can be helpful to you.

"Listening" does not always need to have a "to" at the end. You can just write "listening" in most situations: "Can you just listen for a change." But when you're identifying what you're listening, you usually add the word "to": "I'm listening to the radio right now."

I hope this helps!

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello Etern1ty, I'm an American high school student. I'm not a teacher, but I hope my advice can be helpful to you.

"Listening" does not always need to have a "to" at the end. You can just write "listening" in most situations:
I hope this helps!

You are right there.
When you give attention to some one with the ear or give ear for the purpose of only hearing, you do not need ‘to’.
She does all the talking - I just sit and listen.

When you need to pay attention; heed; obey the verb is usually followed by to:
Children should always listen to their parents.
You haven't listened to a word I've said.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
When you give attention to [STRIKE]some one[/STRIKE] someone with the ear or give ear for the purpose of only hearing, you do not need ‘to’.
She does all the talking - I just sit and listen (to her).

Your account is eloquent but unconvincing.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Gnome- it depends on whether there's an object mentioned rather than the degree of attention IMO.

I listened.
I listened to music/the radio/them/what she said/the speech.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I entirely agree. You only need to add "to" if you are going to specify who or what you are listening to. How hard you are listening is irrelevant!

I'm listening.
I'm listening to you.
I'm listening to a programme on the radio.
Are you listening? Can you hear me?
Yes, I'm listening.
No, I'm listening to my friend.
I'm listening very carefully.

Etern1ty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Oh, thank you all! :up: I got it :)

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Thanks to all posters above. I keep reading and learning.

I just would like to add, that "listen for", depending on the context, may have a different meaning. Very similar to "look for". When you look for something, you are trying to find it, let us say, with your eyes. And when you "listen for" something, you may be trying to find it also, but with your ears.

I have been hearing the expression "listen for" with that meaning in some situations.

Is the phrase: "Can you just listen for a change" right?

It would be interesting if you could provide us some context from where you took this sentence.

PS Not a native speaker

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Thanks to all posters above. I keep reading and learning.

I just would like to add, that "listen for", depending on the context, may have a different meaning. Very similar to "look for". When you look for something, you are trying to find it, let us say, with your eyes. And when you "listen for" something, you may be trying to find it also, but with your ears.

I have been hearing the expression "listen for" with that meaning in some situations.

It would be interesting if you could provide us some context from where you took this sentence.

PS Not a native speaker

Hello ymnisky! Yes, the words "listen for" jumped out at me, as well. The sentence could indicate that someone is "listening for" a change in the melody or in the meaning of something. On second reading, though, I believe the expression being used here is "for a change." "It would be nice if you would listen -- for a change."

However, it is absolutely true that we use "listen for" a great deal. It indicates an activity, a searching for a specific meaning or nuance, in a way that "listen" or "listen to" does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.