Thread: clock over

jean-paul Guest

Post clock over

Who could help me understand this phrasal verb, "clock over", which I have never seen before? I found it while reading a novel (The Scarecrow) by an author from New Zealand called R.H. Morrieson. Here's the context (page 85 of the Penguin edition):
    "Hanging around the house most of the time, cooped up in my room, and getting spoilt that fortnight, my speedometer clocked over."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: clock over

Quote Originally Posted by jean-paul
    Who could help me understand this phrasal verb, "clock over", which I have never seen before? I found it while reading a novel (The Scarecrow) by an author from New Zealand called R.H. Morrieson. Here's the context (page 85 of the Penguin edition):
    "Hanging around the house most of the time, cooped up in my room, and getting spoilt that fortnight, my speedometer clocked over."

A speedometer has a face and a dial and it measures speed. I think it's just a nice figure of speech meaning that those two weeks he stayed at home went by really quick. The dial on his "time" speedometer moved really fast for him. The time was just flying by.