Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Good afternoon,

I am reading an article in The New York Times about a decision of the President of the United of America. In this the writer wrote the following sentence, see below,

"President Obama has signed off on new security protocols for people flying to the United States, establishing a system that uses intelligence information and assessment of threats to identify passengers who could have links to terrorism, a senior administration official said Thursday"

I know it is what Englsih people call a phrasal verb but why the writter do not just put the word sign alone without the the particule off.

I do not see a difference between these two senses (with and without the off).

Thanks advance for your involvement on my question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good afternoon,

I am reading an article in The New York Times about a decision of the President of the United of America. In this the writer wrote the following sentence, see below,

"President Obama has signed off on new security protocols for people flying to the United States, establishing a system that uses intelligence information and assessment of threats to identify passengers who could have links to terrorism, a senior administration official said Thursday"

I know it is what Englsih people call a phrasal verb but why the writter do not just put the word sign alone without the the particule off.

I do not see a difference between these two senses (with and without the off).

Thanks advance for your involvement on my question.

To sign off simply means to authorise. It may or may not actually involve a signature being put on a piece of paper. To sign is very specific - it must be a written/digital signature. To sign off, as I said, means to give authorisation to something, to give it permission to go ahead.

He signed off on the protocols. He probably also signed the documents involved.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
To sign off simply means to authorise. It may or may not actually involve a signature being put on a piece of paper. To sign is very specific - it must be a written/digital signature. To sign off, as I said, means to give authorisation to something, to give it permission to go ahead.

He signed off on the protocols. He probably also signed the documents involved.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer it is very clear in mind,now. [ Gracias para sus repuesta, ahora es mas claro en mi cabeza].;-)

Thanks a lot -Muchas Gracias.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

Thanks for your answer it is very clear in mind,now. [ Gracias para sus repuesta, ahora es mas claro en mi cabeza].;-)

Thanks a lot -Muchas Gracias.

De nada! :-D
De rien.
You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.