Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

"Man 1: What is the run?

Man 2: Got Blu-Rays and iPods heading down to
San Jose. God damn niggers have been
jacking the shit out of them. Keep your​
eyes open on this one."

What is the meaning of "jack" here? Also "nigger" here I think it has nothing to do with black people, right?

Thanks

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
The slang word "jack" is derived from the word "hijack" - in this context it would mean to rob or to steal.

The slang word "nigger" is derived from the word "negro" - a black man or woman.

If Man2 is not a black man, then the term "nigger" is intended as a derogatery racist remark.

If Man2 is a black man, then the word "nigger" or "niggah" would have a different connotation. It may still be mildly derogatery, but it would be more akin to the word "brother".

In the scene, Man2 is worried that his shipment of Blu-Ray players and iPods will be hijacked by a gang of black robbers.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Really I can't thank you enough for that thorough answer. That is so helpful.:up::up::up:

So one more Question, please:
The meaning of "What is the run?" here is "What is the matter"? like when do we use that expression?

Thanks a lot.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please know that this is considered one of the most offensive words in the U.S. In fact, we just call it "the n-word" because it's so offensive. I'd be angry if my kid used the "f-word" but if she used the n-word, I'd be horrified, shocked, and very, very disappointed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please know that this is considered one of the most offensive words in the U.S. In fact, we just call it "the n-word" because it's so offensive. I'd be angry if my kid used the "f-word" but if she used the n-word, I'd be horrified, shocked, and very, very disappointed.

It is also a very rude word in the UK, BUT you need to remember that it has totally different connotations when used by white people towards black people, as opposed to within the black community.

If a black guy calls another black guy a nigger, then as someone else said, it's more like "brother" or "man" and therefore not derogatory.

I have been told this is the case by several black friends.

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It is also a very rude word in the UK, BUT you need to remember that it has totally different connotations when used by white people towards black people, as opposed to within the black community.

If a black guy calls another black guy a nigger, then as someone else said, it's more like "brother" or "man" and therefore not derogatory.

I have been told this is the case by several black friends.

Surprisingly how the connotation of the same word can be change if used in different communities. In my culture/language, for example, the n-word is considered to be absolutely normal (that is just used to indicate a person's race or ethnicity, no more than that), while the term 'Black' (if spoken of the person of color) would sound derogative, maybe a bit less so than how the other word would in English language.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is interesting indeed!

Status