Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

what role should play English readers in the study of English?
How to avoid archaic words, too formal phrases, rare-used phrases?
How to avoid low comprehension of text because of phrases hard-to-find in a dictionary.

Are Penguin readers the best? What does mean "retold" for a student. Or should I prefer readers with mirror-translation to native language?(there are some very bad as original(outdated- Stevenson,London etc.) even with a worse translation(Stevenson)).
What requirements should a good reader (Or a good text for study) meet?

Thanks in advance for reply,

Jiri Lindovsky

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

what role should play English readers in the study of English?
How to avoid archaic words, too formal phrases, rare-used phrases?
How to avoid low comprehension of text because of phrases hard-to-find in a dictionary.

Are Penguin readers the best? What does mean "retold" for a student. Or should I prefer readers with mirror-translation to native language?(there are some very bad as original(outdated- Stevenson,London etc.) even with a worse translation(Stevenson)).
What requirements should a good reader (Or a good text for study) meet?

Thanks in advance for reply,

Jiri Lindovsky

The academy where I work recommends the Oxford University Press Graded Readers. They have a large catalogue of books, divided into 6 different levels of English.

"Retold" means written again in a simplified form (in this context).

I have seen different types of readers, some which are almost exact literal translations. These will help if the student wants to translate almost every single word. Others are simply rewritten so that the story remains the same but should not be used as straight translations.

Status
Not open for further replies.