Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi all,

I am reading a funny story in a newspaper called Arizona Republic. I try to be short (a bit difficult for me because I am a Latin guy so talkative).

See below in the following sentence
the part in bold :

"PLAINFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. – An 82-year-old woman who accidentally crashed her car through the front window of a southwest Michigan salon stuck around afterward for an appointment to get her hair done".

I understand the big part of this little story but the bold words stuck me. What does it mean? she crashes her car and after she goes to have a rendez-vous (very French)?

Can we just replace these both words by the conjunction and?

Thanks for spending tiem in my question.

Cordially,

(Do not hesitate to correct me).

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
She stuck around - she stayed in the area to have her hair cut or something was done to her hair. I don't understand what you mean about a meeting. The sentence you asked about would not make sense if you replaced "stuck around" with "and". It could be written this way - An 82-year-old woman accidentally crashed her car through the front window of a southwest Michigan salon and stuck around afterward for an appointment to get her hair done".

Hello teacher,

Thanks for the correction. Sorry it is not meeting but appointment.

When I say can we replace stuck around by and I mean the following thing:
An 82-year-old woman accidentally crashed her car through the front window of a southwest Michigan salon and afterward for an appointment to get her hair done"

I'm not sure you follow my mind but I hope it's more clear now.

See you later.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, the woman did two things.
She crashed her car through the salon.
She stayed there (she stuck around) to have her hair done afterwards.

Your version has no verb for the second part of the sentence. She did WHAT afterwards.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
No, the woman did two things.
She crashed her car through the salon.
She stayed there (she stuck around) to have her hair done afterwards.

Your version has no verb for the second part of the sentence. She did WHAT afterwards.

Hi Barbara,:-D

I understand, but if I have written ' ...and afterwards she takes an appointment..' is it okay with this kind of sentence?

Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's close. The part that makes this story funny is that she didn't come back the next day or next week. She just (apparently) got out of her car and waited there. The "stuck around" means she didn't leave. If she simply had an appointment afterwards, she could have come back.

Last edited:

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
It's close. The part that makes this story funny is that she didn't come back the next day or next week. She just (apparently) got out of her car and waited there. The "stuck around" means she didn't leave. If you had an appointment afterwards, she could have come back.

Hello fast teacher,

Now It's clear but maybe instead the both words 'straight afterwards' can work in this context.

Do you agree with the devious way I take to say the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.