[Vocabulary] What is the difference between cheques, bankers' cards, and credit card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhatruc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear all.
I've read the following article. I saw few words, "
cheques, bankers' cards, credit card". I havn't known what the difference beween them is.
If someone understand, please give me an explanation.
I'm expecting from you.
Your sincerely
--------------------------------------------
MONEY
A coins is a piece of metal, usually disc-shaped, which bears lettering, designs or numbers showing its value. Until the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries coins were given monetary worth based on the exact amount of metal contained in them, but most modern coins are based on face value, the value that governments choose to give them, irrespective of the actual metal content. Coins have been made of gold (Au), silver (Ag), copper (Cu), aluminium (Al), nickel (Ni), lead (Pb), zinc (Zn), plastic, and in China even from pressed tea leaves. Most governments now issue paper money in the form of notes, which are really “promises to pay”. Paper money is obviously easier to handle and much more convenient in the modern world. Cheques, bankers' cards, and credit cards are being used increasingly and it is possible to imagine a world where "money" in the form of coins and paper currency will no longer be used. Even today, in the United States, many places — especially filling stations — will not accept cash at night for security reasons.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Cheques normally come in small books and you can write the person's or company's name and the amount you pay on one, date and sign it, tear it out of the book and give it to them. They can take it to their bank any deposit it.

Credit cards are plastic cards that you can use to buy things up to a certain limit and then pay in monthly instalments.

Debit cards allow you to pay directly from your bank account without writing cheques- the money is transferred instantly so it's often more convenient than a cheque.

Guarantee cards are used to guarantee a cheque, so that people know they will get their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.