• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Scene description - correction of any kind is very much appreciated!

I was driving my way back from work. As I was approaching this T-intersection with traffic light, I saw a car in front, turned a bit into the sidewalk (or island) beside it. The car seemed to be in trouble. However as I was sick at the time and am not a caring and hospitable person, I thought I'd just pass by, but the traffic light was on red and I had to wait til the light turns green.

And one of the passengers in the car was hand-gesturing to just go, thinking I was trying to offer help. I wasn't bright enough to possibly think of ways to hand-gesture my message, which was "No, I'm just waiting on the signal."

Thinking I didn't get her message, she got off the car and approached to me. I slid down my car window to hear what she had to say. She told me she and her companion's just got a flat tire and they don't need help. I wanted to say I was just waiting for the light to turn green, but words didn't come fast enough to my head and all I said was "I'm on signal". She didn't seem to understand what I said, and that's just when the light turned green and I drove away.

This is basically what happened to me today. I make more grammatical mistakes when describing a scene or situation than explaining stuff I know about. Please correct any mistakes, be they grammatical or any other stuff.

I also have a few questions.
    1. T-intersection w/ traffic light - I have no idea whether this phrase is correct or not, but are there any better ways to describe the same scene?

2. ...but the traffic light was on red - It doesn't sound right. I mean it may be correct grammatically but this mustn't be how you native speakers say it. What would you say when you describe the situation?

3. "No, I'm just waiting on the signal" - If I use the following instead, "No, I'm just waiting for the light to turn green", I'm quite confident the sentence becomes correct. But isn't that too long? any other ways to say the same thing, with fewer words?

4. I'm on signal - Obviously that doesn't make much sense. (My face still turns red whenever I think about it) What should've I said?

Thank you very much again.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scene description - correction of any kind is very much appreciated!

I was driving my way back from work.- I'd remove 'my way' or add 'on'

As I was approaching this T-intersection with traffic light, - I'd drop the bit about the lights- it sounds a bit funny to me and is it really necessary to mention them here. When they appear, we know you're at a junction, so the presence of lights doesn't come as a shock.

turned a bit into the sidewalk- I'd remove 'a bit'

til the light turns green- spelling- till- also, it should be turned

hand-gesturing- gesturing or gesturing with their hand

she got off the car - out of

approached to me- approached me

they don't need help- didn't

"I'm on signal"- I'm on a red light/ I waiting for the signal

Your questions
    1- already answered
    2- it's what I would say
    3/4- already answered