• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,881
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Can anyone answer this definitively?

A friend and I are having a disagreement about subject/verb agreement and the subjunctive case...

The sentence in question is this:

"It would have been awesome if we came in here and it were apparent from your comments that you were a genius."

So. My problem was with "it were", but after doing some reading, I'm just confused.

What's correct?

Are both "it were" and "it was" correct in this case, with "it were" being more correct?

Or is one or the other simply wrong?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

A friend and I are having a disagreement about subject/verb agreement and the subjunctive case...

"It would have been awesome if we came in here and it were apparent from your comments that you were a genius."

So. My problem was with "it were", but after doing some reading, I'm just confused.

What's correct?

Are both "it were" and "it was" correct in this case, with "it were" being more correct?

"It would be awesome if we came in here and it were apparent from your comments that you were a genius."

Depending on how you define "correct", yes both forms "was" and "were" are correct, being "were" "more correct".

The "correct" form is "were", it is used in written and formal English. However, as far as I know "was" is also accepted in AmE.

Not a native speaker

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

What's correct?

"It would have been awesome if we had come in here and it had been apparent from your comments that you were a genius." (third conditional)

or

"It would have been awesome if we had come in here and it had been apparent from your comments that you had been a genius." (third conditional)

or

"It would be awesome if we came in here and it were apparent from your comments that you were a genius." (second conditional)

Status
Not open for further replies.