Thread: with

Anonymous Guest

Default with

Which of the following is correct:

1-With Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.
    2-Alongside Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.
    3-Alongisde with Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.
    4-Along with Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.

Do these sentences imply that Quantum Mechanics had only the four founding fathers who have been mentioned here or could it have other founding fathers?

navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: with

This one was me. I thought I was logged in. This isn't the first time this is happening. I don't mind being written down as a guest though, so normally I just let it be. I saw that Makaveli had come back to identify himself, so I thought I should do the same. Can't be more macchiavellic than Macchiavelli, like you can't be more Catholic than the Pope!! :wink:

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    1-With Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.
    2-Alongside Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.
    3-Alongisde with Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.
    4-Along with Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.

Do these sentences imply that Quantum Mechanics had only the four founding fathers who have been mentioned here or could it have other founding fathers?
    The sentences say that those men were four of the founders of quantum mechanics, but it doesn't exclude the possibility of significant contributions from others. What it says to me is that each one of them was one of the founding fathers of quantum mechanics. The writer might consider the list complete with those individuals, but I can't assume that. (He doesn't mention Richard Feynman.) To make it clear that he meant to include those and no others, the writer could have said, "The founding fathers of quantum mechanics were Planck, Bohr, Schrodinger, and Einstein."

By the way, sentences one and two are fine, but I wouldn't use the others.

:)

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think 2 is the best, then 4. I wouldn't use 1.

Iain

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dduck
    Personally, I think 2 is the best, then 4. I wouldn't use 1.
    You would use "Alongside with"? (I don't think I use "alongside" at all.)

:?

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    Which of the following is correct:

I believe sentence 2 above is the best one. However, I also suggest:
    Besides Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, Einstein was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.
    or
    Einstein, besides Planck, Bohr and Schrodinger, was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    The writer might consider the list complete with those individuals, but I can't assume that. (He doesn't mention Richard Feynman.)
    Although R. Feynman bequeathed many invaluable contributions to Physics, he can't be said to be one of the founding fathers of Quantum Mechanics.
    Among other contributions he developed an alternative mathematical approach to Quantum Mechanics, the path-integral formalism, but all the main ideas of Quantum Mechanics, as well the traditional approaches, were already ready.

In my view it is appropriate to say the R. Feynman was one of the founding fathers of Quantum Field Theory.