(present & present perfect progressive)

• Thread starter student X
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,553
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

student X

1. When I am asked "What are you reading recently?" I answer I am reading "Diary of a wimpy kid" recently.

2. When I am asked "What have you been reading recently?" I answer I have been reading "Diary of a wimpy kid".

In fact, I do not know the difference between my answers. Because I do not know the difference, so I just go by the questions to answer. But now I am hoping that I know the difference. May I get your hand? Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. When I am asked "What are you reading recently?" I answer I am reading "Diary of a wimpy kid" recently.

2. When I am asked "What have you been reading recently?" I answer I have been reading "Diary of a wimpy kid".

In fact, I do not know the difference between my answers. Because I do not know the difference, so I just go by the questions to answer. But now I am hoping that I know the difference. May I get your hand? Thanks.

"Recently" suggests a period of time which started in the past but possibly continues into the present, therefore "What HAVE YOU BEEN READING recently?" is correct.

If you want to know what book someone is reading now, you would ask "What are you reading at the moment?" or simply "What are you reading?" if they actually have the book in their hand.

As far as your answers go, "I am reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid" means that you have already started reading it and have not yet finished it. "I have been reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid recently" can mean the same thing, although it suggests that you might not be actively reading it, even though you haven't finished it. "I read Diary of a Wimpy Kid recently" means that you have finished it in the recent past.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

"What are you reading recently?" is incorrect, you could ask "What are you reading at the moment?" If you are going to use "recently" you must use "What have you been reading".

Status
Not open for further replies.