• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,600
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I'm a teacher of English in Indonesia
I wonder if topic sentence in a scientific paragraph always put in the first sentence of the paragraph. Is it possible writing the topic sentence in the middle or last paragraph?

I have difficulties in explaining how to say bag and back to my student, they sound the same. Could you give any advise?
Thank you

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A topic sentence does not have to come at the start of a paragraph.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm a teacher of English in Indonesia.
I wonder if the topic sentence in a scientific paragraph must always be put in the first sentence of the paragraph. Is it possible [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] to write the topic sentence in the middle or end of the paragraph?

I have difficulties in explaining how to say bag and back to my students as they sound the same. Could you give any advice?
Thank you

Given that you're an English teacher, I feel a little bad about this, but please note the corrections to your original post, in red above.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While I agree completely with Tdol, if your students are just learning, it may be best to follow the same model at first and to simply lead off your introductory paragraph with a topic sentence to start with.

As their writing becomes more advanced, they can lead off with an attention-getting sentence, and then state their topic sentence at the end of the first paragraph.

I would suggest that burying it in the middle of the paragraph is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.