Post Thanks / Like

Default Another portion of sentences to correct =)

Would you be so kind as to correct a new portion of sentences? I would also appreciate it if you would comment on your changes (if there are any changes, of course)

1. The back cover of the book read/said: “Combine light reading with serious problems raised by the author”.
    2. As it turned out a few minutes later he hadn’t had to combine the liquid with soap.
    3. I hear they’ve combined again.
    4. I think she shouldn’t have come down so hard on the children just for making a mess of the carpet.
    5. The punishment Jack had to suffer was really sound.
    6. The chaotic situation made the local authorities confess that they did still not have a definite plan for defusing the explosive situation.
    7. –I find this new mechanism to be very ingenious. What do you think of it? –It’s really great! Do you know who devised it? – Peter? –Yes. I’ve no idea why he preferred to stay here. He had so many chances to leave for rich countries. He could get loads of money! I’d definitely go abroad if I could devise such complex and ingenious mechanisms.
    8. For some period of time they even thought a way out of the situation was close. But they did not know about the enemy’s fiendish plan to attack suddenly.
    9. The leading constructors of the country say that the project of the building was very sound. Having watched the video tape twice very carefully they have not found any mistakes the builders could have made in the course of putting up either. Therefore, the cause of the collapse still remains a matter for conjecture.
    10. She was rather vague about the details of the accident, so the police found it very difficult to get something new from her.
    11. It always seemed to me that there was only one feasible solution to the problem. If Jane hadn’t come up with that great idea then I’d probably have put my plan into action. Nobody knows what would have happened in this case. Now that about 7 years has passed, I realize that my plan combined both good and bad points. I’d even say there were heaps of stupid ideas in my plan.
    12. When he heard that question he frowned. It was clear he didn’t know how he should answer. On the one hand, he couldn’t tell the truth because they would have killed him for it. On the other hand, he was fed up with the plans of the party.
    13. Their exhibit stood no comparison with the rest presented at the exhibition.
    14. He’s going to aim all his criticism at common people.
    15. How are you ever going to catch up? You were given the task of attempting to implement new means of communication in our department at the beginning of the month!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another portion of sentences to correct =)

1 said/says
    2- possible but what's the context- you mean we only found out aftwards about his not having to add soap?
    3- what are 'they'? It looks strange without more context
    5- severe (sound doesn't work for me)
    6- repetition of situation, unless you mean the second to be plural
    9 puttin it up, or better 'building it'- putting up sounds a bit casual to me
    15 by the beginning?

Post Thanks / Like

1. Are there any other ways of saying ‘say’ in such sentences as the first one? Are there any ways of substituting ‘say’ for some other verb? (formal one, for example?)
    2. As it turned out a few minutes later he hadn’t had to combine the liquid with soap.
    I’ll try to clarify this. Imagine the following situation: Someone decided to discover what would happen if he added some soap to a container of liquid. Some time later he realized that it had been a waste of time trying to add soap to the liquid. The context might look this way. Perhaps, it seems stupid enough…
    3. Two churches, for example.
    5. I thought it would prove so. My British dictionary says that a punishment can be described as sound, so I decided to find out whether it’s right or not. My collocations dictionary says that most frequently used adjectives are severe, harsh, cruel, and heavy.
    6. I know it’s bad to repeat words in one sentence but I don’t usually include such ideas on my essays or whatever. That’s why I don’t myself consider it very important. (did I put 'myself' in the right position?)
    7. I got it. Will you explain what ‘casual’ means in this context? It seems to me that there are heaps of meanings of this word, aren’t there?
    15. Yeah, the last sentence is clumsy here. Depends on the situation. You might have been given this task at the beginning of the month and you haven’t even got down to it yet. So your friend keeps nagging you to get down to the task.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

1- Is there any need to change it? Maybe you could use 'states', but that could undermine the case a bit by distancing the writer from the content.
    2- It's fine within the context, but without it struck me as possibly inaccurate.
    3- United?
    5- Which dictionary?
    6- myself is fine there
    7- It doesn't sound like a serious way of describing construction- it sounds quick and possibly cutting a few corners
    15- Again, context could work, but then it normally will.

Post Thanks / Like

1- Is there any need to change it? Maybe you could use 'states', but that could undermine the case a bit by distancing the writer from the content.

No, there isn't any need to change it. I just wanted to discover whether there were any ways of changing it. Just to expand my vocabulary a bit, you know.
    2. Wonderful
    3- United? - Is this verb better than combine? If so I'll use it.
    5- Macmillan English dictionary for advanced learners. Do you know this one?
    sound - adj.
    5) a sound punishment is severe
    6- myself is fine there
    I heard this phrase on TV a few days ago and made up my mind to check out whether I heard it correctly. As it turned out I heard entirely correctly
    7- Thanks.